Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #271
jmfitzgerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the replies... the bottle of FermaidK i have says use .5-1g per gallon (1/8-1/4tsp per gallon), then doing that 3x, i was actually worried i was using too much? so i used GoFerm to rehydrate the yeast, which has plenty of nutrients already, then with 3 additions of 1/4t DAP & 1/8t FermaidK, i used a total of 3/4tsp DAP & 3/8tsp FermaidK for a 1 gallon batch... which brings up another question, is batch size relevant? when i inquired about rehydrating a pack of yeast, i was told still to use the full 2tsp of GoFerm to one pack of dry yeast, even for a one gallon batch. is that correct also?

well for now, i think i'll pick up some acid blend, and repitch maybe a half pack of yeast just rehydrated with some more goferm for nutrients and hope it takes off, because it still smells great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #272
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

well 3 days later, after pitching another half pack of EC-1118, 1tsp GoFem, and 1/4tsp Fermaid K... nothing... no airlock activity. i haven't opened it up again to take a gravity reading, but the level in the airlock hasn't changed even the slightest, so i'm assuming nothing's going on in there... any other thoughts to start this back up, or is this going to totally stall out at 1.039? maybe blend it with another mead down the road??? just weird, i don't understand why i'm having problems with this one mead, so far it's been my only problem child.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #273
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is it possible that all of the fermentable sugar has fermented? I've read that the process of burning the honey renders some of the sugars unfermentable. I wonder if you could mix up some everclear and water to a bit above your target ABV and add it until you hit your target FG. I've never done this, just trying to think of a way to salvage the batch if its so sweet it's unpalatable.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #274
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My favorite idea on lowering the gravity is to blend it with a traditional mead that is fermented dry. If 1118 yeast has died out then it may not ferment. The only other thing you can check is see if the PH is to low. If so then use calcium bicarbonate I believe to raise the PH to the butter zone of about 3.5.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #275
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

the pH definitely isn't low, it's sitting about 4.6... i was going to add some acid blend, but haven't made it to the HBS yet to do so, so really, that should be in a good range for the yeasties? i think at this point i'll blend it with another mead. i have a traditional mead in a primary going that i'm going to add spices and do a metheglin with here next week. i made a little extra, so i'll use some of this to blend it and see where it goes from there. thanks for the input so far!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #276
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Premier Cuvee might be able to take it down a little more sometimes this works better than EC1118. WVMJ

Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #277
thirsty4cider
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

would it be a bad idea to age this in oak?

One gallon batches? gosh, that sounds daunting.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #278
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I used some Fermcap-S in the boilpot and it helped keep the honey out of endless expansion.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #279
WVMJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty4cider View Post
would it be a bad idea to age this in oak?
That is an excellent idea and it works. WVMJ

Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #280
WVMJ
Recipes 

800 posts on this wonderful mead and someone comes along and is like why dont you guys use that anti foamy stuff when you cook foamy honey! I didnt know you could use this in the boil, did it work all the way up to the black stage or did it eventually give out or did you have to keep adding it every so often? What a great idea. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagamoreAle View Post
I used some Fermcap-S in the boilpot and it helped keep the honey out of endless expansion.

Quick Reply