The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #261
TeufelHundenM198
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Ha Ha, not newbie, germaphobe Its funny to me how people worry about every little germ that gets into their must, how can you really wash the bird poop of every grape, or get every last stink bug (full of germs) out of each batch And what about those people with hairy feet stomping around on grapes! When we got our dog I knew one day there would be dog hair floating across the must, instead of waiting I just dropped some in there to get it over with!! WVMJ
I used to be overly careful, but after doing this for a few years, the only problem I've ever had was that one Bochet. Beer, mead, fruit wine... I sterilize carboys and all that now, but everything else, I just give it a good washing and call it good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #262
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I just started my first bochet this morning. Woke up at 12:30, couldn't sleep for thinking about the mead. So I got out of bed and started cooking honey.

I did a split "grain bill" on mine. There's one pound raw, one pound lightly reduced, and one pound heavily reduced honey. I saw this suggested somewhere and I have to say the cooking time really affects the flavor. The lightly reduced honey has a caramel taste while the darker one is toasted marshmallow. This should give a bit more depth to the flavor of the mead. I hope. There's also a pound of blackberries. I think the end result will be something like a blackberry pastry. I think I may need more berries though.

Right now I'm waiting for the honey to cool. I'm also giving the pectic enzyme time to do its thing. Once I get it all together I'll take an SG reading. Then it's just a matter of rehydrating and pitching the yeast.

Speaking of yeast, what can I expect from EC-1118? I wanted to use White Labs WLP720 since I've had good results from it. But the shop was out of it. So the guy sold my wife the Lalvin saying it was a direct substitute. I don't know how he figured that since the two yeasts don't have any of the same characteristics. I know I'll get more alcohol from the Lalvin. I'm just hoping it doesn't produce a lot of esters and junk.

*EDIT*
Took an SG reading and got 1.110. But that's low because I screwed up and left a layer of honey on the bottom of the jug. I poured the raw honey in first and then forgot to mix it up when I added everything else.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #263
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Took a bit for this to really get active. The hydrometer showed the evidence, but it was super slow until this morning... now there's visible fermentation taking place.

Love the color too, and the wife just wants to go in there and sniff them all day.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #264
overdbus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

i can not wait to try this, but with more honey...

Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #265
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Anyone try to back sweeten a normal mead with burnt honey? My mead is at .996 and I'm thinking of trying this. i want a FG of around 1.010, maybe a little over. For 3 gallons this would be 1 1/3 cup of honey, more or less, right?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #266
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

i'd be really curious how that turns out!!! do it and report back, with photos of the color differences of before and after... and how far you "burnt" the honey. i'd bet that turns out awesome.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #267
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

ok so what to do... this mead started off to a VERY slow fermentation... it pretty much stalled at the 3 week mark and only went from 1.092 down to 1.039... now after 3 more months, it hasn't budged a bit. still sitting firmly at 1.039 with no activity for a long while. i checked the pH with the little strips, and it's sitting right between the 4.6 & 5 range, so i'd comfortably say it's 4.8, and it's been well taken care of. where to go now? do i repitch some more yeast hoping to bring it back and restart fermentation? i originally pitched EC-1118, so this should of been no problem for it to chew through.

my rough recipe is:
1G batch
3lbs standard clover honey cooked for an hour and 15min as seen here-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/medieval-burnt-mead-112163/index24.html#post5024320
about a gallon of water
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, rehydrated with GoFerm
3x SNA of 1/4t DAP & 1/8t FermaidK
@1 day(1.085)
@3rd day(1.073)
@7th day(1.045)
spread out because of the very slow fermentation.
racked to secondary after 3 weeks. (1.039)

any thoughts?
thanks!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #268
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My bochet stalled too. Not sure what you can do but try repitching with a starter.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #269
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfitzgerald
ok so what to do... this mead started off to a VERY slow fermentation... it pretty much stalled at the 3 week mark and only went from 1.092 down to 1.039... now after 3 more months, it hasn't budged a bit. still sitting firmly at 1.039 with no activity for a long while. i checked the pH with the little strips, and it's sitting right between the 4.6 & 5 range, so i'd comfortably say it's 4.8, and it's been well taken care of. where to go now? do i repitch some more yeast hoping to bring it back and restart fermentation? i originally pitched EC-1118, so this should of been no problem for it to chew through.

my rough recipe is:
1G batch
3lbs standard clover honey cooked for an hour and 15min as seen here-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/medieval-burnt-mead-112163/index24.html#post5024320
about a gallon of water
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, rehydrated with GoFerm
3x SNA of 1/4t DAP & 1/8t FermaidK
@1 day(1.085)
@3rd day(1.073)
@7th day(1.045)
spread out because of the very slow fermentation.
racked to secondary after 3 weeks. (1.039)

any thoughts?
thanks!

That ph is actually quite high no? If I'm
Not mistaken the yeasties prefer 3.2-3.5 ph.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #270
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

And your Fermaid is a little low, I think the guidelines say up to 1.5 tsp gallon and a Bochet would be one of those meads that might need to have all of it. Maybe drop in some acid blend and yeast ghosts to get them going again. We used Primier Cuvee in our batch and it did very well.WVMJ

Quick Reply