Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #251
Meadiator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife3Sheets
My Bochet has been going for about 3 months, and is down to 1.024 from 1.088. It's been sitting on the spices for a week and a half, and tastes suspiciously like flat Dr. Pepper...
This is really a long term commitment mead sounds delicious though. Are you going to ferment dry?

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #252
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoife3Sheets View Post
My Bochet has been going for about 3 months, and is down to 1.024 from 1.088. It's been sitting on the spices for a week and a half, and tastes suspiciously like flat Dr. Pepper...
What spices is it sitting on?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #253
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm starting a batch this weekend with a collection of leftover honey I have laying around. Most of it has crystallized, or has otherwise gone unused for too long.

Some safeway brand, local wildflower, Chestnut, Christmas Berry, and not in the picture, just a bit of Forest Honey.

I'm excited to try this again... I started a batch a few months ago and it caught an infection, so I sadly had to toss it.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #254
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 21

YOur Bochet caught an infection, what happened to it so we can all keep an eye out if its something particular to Bochets??? WVMJ

Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #255
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Agreed, that is, as I am finding, a rare thing for meads to get infected.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #256
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
YOur Bochet caught an infection, what happened to it so we can all keep an eye out if its something particular to Bochets??? WVMJ
I think it was a matter of my nephew sticking his fingers in the bucket when I wasn't looking. Nothing inherent to bochets exists that I know of, but I just couldn't narrow down exactly what the cause was beyond the circumstances around dirty kid fingers.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #257
WVMJ
Recipes 

Was it the idea of a dirty kid finger in there that made you imagine it was bad or did it turn into vinegar or something terrible smelling? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelHundenM198 View Post
I think it was a matter of my nephew sticking his fingers in the bucket when I wasn't looking. Nothing inherent to bochets exists that I know of, but I just couldn't narrow down exactly what the cause was beyond the circumstances around dirty kid fingers.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #258
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Quote:
Was it the idea of a dirty kid finger in there that made you imagine it was bad or did it turn into vinegar or something terrible smelling? WVMJ
It turned into a terrible smelling concoction that had distinct notes of vinegar. If you got a good whiff of it, it would sting the nostrils. It was sort of a combination of dirty feet and vinegar, actually. Trust me, if it's bad enough for me to throw out, it's beyond help...

Now that we've established that no, I'm not a rookie who would throw out good mead, we can continue.

I couldn't wait until this weekend, so I started that bochet just a couple hours ago. I ended up with ~6.5lbs of honey, so I'm making two gallons of it. Firstly, when I threw everything in the pot, still crystallized, I had to get a pic of it. It looked so terrible I had a good long laugh. The dark honey on top there is the forest honey... I thought it rounded out the bee puke look to the stuff.

Once it all melted, it started to look pretty nice, and ALL I could smell was the chestnut honey. It surprised me that it took over on top of everything else, as there was only 1lb out of 6.5 in there.

That pic was just as the very first boil bubbles appeared. Took a little over an hour to turn black, now I'm just waiting for it to cool down a bit. I'll get a gravity reading later tonight.

EDIT: Topped off to 2 gallons of water, SG is 1.129. I'm using some K1-V1116, rehydrated with Go-Ferm. I'm pretty excited for this one.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #259
WVMJ
Recipes 

Ha Ha, not newbie, germaphobe Its funny to me how people worry about every little germ that gets into their must, how can you really wash the bird poop of every grape, or get every last stink bug (full of germs) out of each batch And what about those people with hairy feet stomping around on grapes! When we got our dog I knew one day there would be dog hair floating across the must, instead of waiting I just dropped some in there to get it over with!! WVMJ

People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #260
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
When we got our dog I knew one day there would be dog hair floating across the must, instead of waiting I just dropped some in there to get it over with!! WVMJ
Haha, that's great. Reminds me of my buddies grandpa. Every new car he would get on the day he brought it home would scratch it with the key.

Quick Reply