Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #241
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We got a brown ale kit for fun and poured in the carmelized honey, the whole batch if black. We thought about not hopping it but our LHBS guy said the hops would offset the extra sweetness of the honey so in went the hops that came with the kit, the bochet braggot ended up a little higher in alcohol but everything really balanced out well. If you just added hops to a bochet mead I dont think it would be balanced without the "beer" flavors to. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by winenewb172 View Post
Has anybody tried hopping a bochet? Or maybe cocoa and cinnamon to get a smores flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #242
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ
We got a brown ale kit for fun and poured in the carmelized honey, the whole batch if black. We thought about not hopping it but our LHBS guy said the hops would offset the extra sweetness of the honey so in went the hops that came with the kit, the bochet braggot ended up a little higher in alcohol but everything really balanced out well. If you just added hops to a bochet mead I dont think it would be balanced without the "beer" flavors to. WVMJ
Sounds tastey

Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #243
solo_smith
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone have a 3 gallon recipe

Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #244
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_smith View Post
Anyone have a 3 gallon recipe
9 lbs boiled honey
yeast of your choice
water to 3 gallons

The only thing different from this and a traditional / show is that your cooking the honey to produce different flavors.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #245
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

so after 3 weeks, this is the first mead i've had that the yeast isn't chugging through the primary fermentation. at first it was a VERY slow start, and with aerating it twice a day and feeding it nutrients... after a week it was only down 30 pts. the OG was 1.092, and today after 3 weeks i finally racked it to a secondary but its only at 1.039. the yeast is EC-1118, which in past experiences, it should chug through about anything. any thoughts on why this is going SO slow or stalled out? did "burning" the honey effect the fermentable sugars in the honey? this just is the first mead that is going SO slow and seems weird to me and curious.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #246
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfitzgerald View Post
so after 3 weeks, this is the first mead i've had that the yeast isn't chugging through the primary fermentation. at first it was a VERY slow start, and with aerating it twice a day and feeding it nutrients... after a week it was only down 30 pts. the OG was 1.092, and today after 3 weeks i finally racked it to a secondary but its only at 1.039. the yeast is EC-1118, which in past experiences, it should chug through about anything. any thoughts on why this is going SO slow or stalled out? did "burning" the honey effect the fermentable sugars in the honey? this just is the first mead that is going SO slow and seems weird to me and curious.
Depending on how much carmelization took place is what determines how much fermentable sugars you are left with. You see, Carmelized sugars don't ferment. So what is actually fermenting is the sugars that were not burnt or charmelized. This is bound to make it slower. On mine, I did only 1/2 of the primary carmelized. That way I ensured that I would have some fermentables. I got a nice toffee tasting mead, after back sweetening it.

Matrix

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #247
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Mine started out pretty normal, but once it got to 1.040 from 1.110 it started to really slowly ferment. I think it's because of the caramelized unfermentable sugars. Its since gotten down to 1.030, but I need to check the gravity again. Just be patient these are supposed to age wonderfully.

I also read a blog form Fatbloke about his bochet, and his fermented all the way down. He used a pressure cooker to cook the honey and I used a gas range stovetop. I thought it was interesting that maybe the honey caramelizing process also effects the amount of unfermentables added.

This was a hydrometer sample taste from some time ago.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #248
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

that's kind of what i was thinking... so i guess this one is just going to sit for a LONG time i've just never had a mead take this long so i was curious.

thanks

Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #249
BlueHand
Recipes 

Does anyone have a percentage of how much of the honey is fermentable after it is burnt? I'm on my second batch and it really starts off slow compared to other meads. I even added in burnt honey at the end to ensure my yeast had something to eat. I'm worried it might be a ph issue as well.

Any thoughts on why the slow start and what percentage of the honey can actually be fermented in a bochet?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #250
Aoife3Sheets
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My Bochet has been going for about 3 months, and is down to 1.024 from 1.088. It's been sitting on the spices for a week and a half, and tastes suspiciously like flat Dr. Pepper...

Quick Reply