The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #231
Naturegoods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would never consider boiling my raw honey. 160 is the top temp and that is just to liquefy it. If you know honey you already know this. Last night I was drinking 45 day old mead.
New years day I cut 6 1/2 pounds of hard 2011 honey from a 5 gallon bucket, heat to 135 along with about a quart of distilled water (88 cents/ gallon you only need two) two tablespoons of raisins, one sliced tangerine, Lelvin 1118 yeast, top off with distilled water to 2 1/2 gallons, install airlock. Racked to secondary at 26 days.
Stopped fermentation at 28 days, SPARKOLLOID to clarify at 34 days, bottled into one liter jug for storage and 8 16 oz beer bottles for quality control testing at 41 days. Now to do another with basswood honey and Lelvin d-47 to see the difference. And spend less time on here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #232
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturegoods View Post
I would never consider boiling my raw honey. 160 is the top temp and that is just to liquefy it. If you know honey you already know this.
I don't think the idea here is to preserve the honey characteristics and flavor, it is to burn it and change the flavor to a more caramel/toffee/roasted marshmallow flavor.

Some people have mixed raw and burnt honey to get a but of both flavors.

Yes you are right that the honey traits will get burnt off, but in this recipe that is kind of the idea

Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #233
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You may be missing the point? This is heated on purpose to change the flavor, its not heated just to melt the honey. I dont heat my honey to make mead, but I like the Boche we made and sacraficing some raw honey to carmalize is well worth it. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturegoods View Post
I would never consider boiling my raw honey. 160 is the top temp and that is just to liquefy it. If you know honey you already know this. Last night I was drinking 45 day old mead.
New years day I cut 6 1/2 pounds of hard 2011 honey from a 5 gallon bucket, heat to 135 along with about a quart of distilled water (88 cents/ gallon you only need two) two tablespoons of raisins, one sliced tangerine, Lelvin 1118 yeast, top off with distilled water to 2 1/2 gallons, install airlock. Racked to secondary at 26 days.
Stopped fermentation at 28 days, SPARKOLLOID to clarify at 34 days, bottled into one liter jug for storage and 8 16 oz beer bottles for quality control testing at 41 days. Now to do another with basswood honey and Lelvin d-47 to see the difference. And spend less time on here!
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #234
LowOG
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure if anyone can speak to this, but thoughts on using burnt honey as the fermentable in EdWorts apfelwein instead of corn sugar?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #235
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOG
Not sure if anyone can speak to this, but thoughts on using burnt honey as the fermentable in EdWorts apfelwein instead of corn sugar?
Sounds like a tasty bochet cyser to me!

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #236
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Wow very cool trying this mead making method today, my house smells amazing, campfire toasted/burnt marshmallows!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out! I didn't want to make a super potent mead and ended up with a starting gravity of 1.092 and pitched 1118 yeast. So it should chew threw it and I can decide how much to back sweeten it later on.

A cool pic, I documented the cooking of the honey in 15 min intervals, pretty cool! Thanks for all the info in these forums!

image-1726248516.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #237
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Cool Pic, however, it's important to know that those times will only be specific to your experience because of the variables. Such being:

The amount of honey your cooking, and the power of your stove, or fire in this case. Gas and electric heat at much different speeds (Gas being faster). My bochet (there's a log on GotMead) was at your 1 hr 15 in color, in 30 minutes.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 44
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #238
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
Cool Pic, however, it's important to know that those times will only be specific to your experience because of the variables. Such being:

The amount of honey your cooking, and the power of your stove, or fire in this case. Gas and electric heat at much different speeds (Gas being faster). My bochet (there's a log on GotMead) was at your 1 hr 15 in color, in 30 minutes.
right. i was planning on and hour and a half, but i really didn't want to take it much more than where i ended up at. it was starting to get a bit smoky in my house, and i think i got it dark enough!!! again, still smells great in my house today, the day after

as for cooking the honey, i did it indoors, on my electric stove in a stainless pot. after initial heating to where the boil just started to climb the pot, i backed the heat way off to try to caramelize it as slow as possible. it was pretty low, about 3.5 out of a 10 scale on my stove. i was very happy with the results.

off to aerate again, and add the SNA for today!
cheers

Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #239
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Has anybody tried hopping a bochet? Or maybe cocoa and cinnamon to get a smores flavor?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #240
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 50

@Winenewb Im sure in regards to cocoa and cinnamon, those earthier spices would compliment a bochet well. However if I were to make a braggot bochet, I would skip the hops and do steep it with some malts while its cooling.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 44
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Quick Reply