I made a batch of Bochet this morning. I know, I said probably this fall, but I put off making a metheglin to give this a try! There are a couple of things that I learned when I was making this:
1. Honey expands A LOT when it boils. I cooked up the 4 kg. of honey in a 2.5 gallon pot, and the honey rose up to within 1/4 inch from the top!!!
2. Use a long metal spoon. The one that I used stuck out of the pot about 2 inches. I was glad that I had decided to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt to caramelize the honey.
3. Honey splatters are not fun to clean up. (and my wife requested that I mop the kitchen floor as well!)
4. Water brings hot honey back to life! Pour carefully, and slowly.
5. Next time I'm going to caramelize the honey longer. I cooked it for 30 minutes, which was about 5 minutes after it started to have a change in smell to that of roasted marshmallows. A taste from the bottom of the pot, though does not seem all that caramelized. Time will tell.
The OG was 1.098 and this is a 3-gallon batch. The color is about what an ale is, or imitation maple syrup. The flavor is definitely different from the "Canadian #1 White Honey" that I started with, and probably twice as dark.