The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
travestyofnature
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hate to say it but I wouldn't suggest burning honey in the house for a Bochet Mead. I tried to do it once. Just once. The experience turned out similarly to my deepfrying a turkey in the laundry room.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just sayin.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
socalamcor
Recipes 

ok i didnt stick entirely to the recipe but i have something goin. i boiled down the honey until i started getting the white smoke very regularly. at this time the honey was a wonderful dark brown a bit between the colors of caramel and brown sugar. after adding in the water it looks almost pitch black in the carboy. sg is about 1.085 on a 6 gallon batch and i pitched montrachet. ( cooked it down on the stove. just gotta recomened using a big pot and to wait til the honey cools before adding the water!)

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keep us updated on your burnt mead trials guys!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
socalamcor
Recipes 

Has anyone givin a try at burning the honey all the way down?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
socalamcor
Recipes 

Fermentation seems to have started far quicker on this one than my other meads. Airlock activity in less than three hours, this morning it seems to be goin pretty steady

Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I made a batch of Bochet this morning. I know, I said probably this fall, but I put off making a metheglin to give this a try! There are a couple of things that I learned when I was making this:

1. Honey expands A LOT when it boils. I cooked up the 4 kg. of honey in a 2.5 gallon pot, and the honey rose up to within 1/4 inch from the top!!!
2. Use a long metal spoon. The one that I used stuck out of the pot about 2 inches. I was glad that I had decided to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt to caramelize the honey.
3. Honey splatters are not fun to clean up. (and my wife requested that I mop the kitchen floor as well!)
4. Water brings hot honey back to life! Pour carefully, and slowly.
5. Next time I'm going to caramelize the honey longer. I cooked it for 30 minutes, which was about 5 minutes after it started to have a change in smell to that of roasted marshmallows. A taste from the bottom of the pot, though does not seem all that caramelized. Time will tell.

The OG was 1.098 and this is a 3-gallon batch. The color is about what an ale is, or imitation maple syrup. The flavor is definitely different from the "Canadian #1 White Honey" that I started with, and probably twice as dark.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
socalamcor
Recipes 

Viking which yeast did you use

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Socalamcor - I used Lalvin 1118. The fermentation is going slow...after 5 days the SG had dropped to only 1.090...I am looking for some yeast energizer to see if that will help it along, but I have not been able to find any in this town. I did add another 1/2 Tbsp. of yeast nutrient, and I now have an acceptable amount of krausen on the top of the must.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

**Update**

Yesterday I racked the mead into a carboy and added 1/2 Tbsp. of yeast nutrient since the SG was only 1.074. Today I added 1/2 Tbsp. of yeast energizer to the mead, and it came to life! It foamed up and got about an inch of foam on the top. This one seems to like the energizer.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm really excited about giving this one a try. And I'm thinking about burning the hell out of the sugar. I mean it's a burnt mead right, not a caramelized mead or something. And I don't think little black puffs of steam come out unless that ****'s scorching! Anyway, I'm a firm believer that the harsher, nastier and more disgusting something is now, the better it will be after aging for a long long time. So maybe I'll do a gallon batch for tasting in like 10 or 20 years, and an only slightly caramelized batch for drinking sooner. The less burnt batch might also be poured over gruit herbs while still hot for a bit of complexity. What yeast do you think will work well for this?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply