Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #121
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1978us View Post
New to the forum and have a question about burnt mead. Does Champagne yeast produce more or less alcohol then using ale or wine yeast? Plus loving what I am seeing in this thread.
Champagne yeast is a type of wine yeast, and is indeed a fairly hardy yeast...generally a champagne yeast will tolerate up go ~18% ABV, and will ferment to dryness. Still, there are other wine/mead yeasts that will dry up similarly: wyeast dry mead, lalvin 1118. There are also some very hardy ale yeasts too, such as wyeast Trappist high gravity, that could easily get a mead up to the mid teens. The bottom line is to check the manufacturers info on the strains of yeast you're interested in, and see if it will do what you want.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #122
ca1978us
Recipes 

Great, thanks for the info. I am starting a batch this weekend and wanted to get an idea of what I would be dealing with if I used champagne yeast.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #123
Nerdie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't like my mead too sweet... how sweet is it? I remember making a prickly pear mead with 20lbs of honey.. and it was too sweet.... 14 lbs of honey I liked better...

so you boiled honey for about 2 hours... would u recommend 170 mins like another member did?

I never heard of zinc fortified yeast... is that dead yeast? .1 g? that's a very little, what kind of scale did u use? So that gets boiled right?

Something that always confused me about yeast nutrients (extract). I have some, looks like salt, it's white and crystalized. But isn't there bacteria in it that can contaminate the mead? Are we supposed to boil it? I remember I threw some in while boiling another mead... and it boiled over!!! DOH!!! are we supposed to boil it? If you boil it... is it bad? But if you don't you introduce contaminates... still confuses me...

thanks

The official recipe from 2008 Nov/Dec Zymurgy page 46. Article starts on page 45 - "Mead: Party Like its 1949"

18.5 lb light honey
4.0 g yeast extract or yeast nutrient
0.1 g zinc fortified yeast as nutrient
3 Tablespoon yeast (40g) dried champagne or mead yeast (Prise de Mousse recommended)

Target original gravity 1.130 - 1.138
Approx Final Gravity 1.028-1.038
Alcohol 14 to 15% by volume

Add honey to pot. Do not add water. Gently boil the honey until dark and tastes caramelized.

Add 1 gallon of water, zinc fortified yeast and blend into the "scorched honey" Stir until dissolved well.

Blend hot honey and water mixture to 2 gallons of cold water and add to your primary.

Top up to 5 gallons total volume. Aerate extremely well and add dissolved yeast nutrient (yeast extract)

When temp is below 80 F add re hydrated yeast. Ferment between 70-75 F

It may take 3 weeks to 3 months to finish primary.

Rack and transfer to secondary. Store at cooler temperatures Rack off sediment after six months to a year. Bottle when clear and all fermentation ceased. Cork in wine bottles for long term aging.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #124
meading_of_minds
Recipes 

Last week, my DH purchased enough honey for me to make a 6 gal. batch, which I'll split between two primary buckets to begin. He's promised to buy me enough honey the first of each month to start a new batch each month.
I believe I boiled my honey for right around 2 hours. As I have to split this, I'll probably boil each batch separately.
Now, we'll see if I can manage to keep him from drinking the entire lot!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #125
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wow! Now this just might be a reason to consider getting married for! I wonder if I could get that in a prenup?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #126
moski
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresOurFish View Post
This technique definitely sounds like it would produce some very tasty results. Just curious, but was I the only one who immediately thought of adapting this to make a candy-apple cyser?
I just dove in with that one today. The caramel notes come out well in the must. It's going to be a while before I can comment on the taste. One word of caution though. My wife and daughter were literally sickened by the smell of the caramelized sugar/honey mixture in the house. Best do it outside next time.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #127
Legacysmeadman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello to all , My name is Levi I started making mead about 6 months ago .I have finished a gallon of bochet . i cooked it for 90 minutes . I also use fleischmens active dry yeast its a bread yeast that you can get at wall mart. i have had alot of luck with this yeast. the only other one that i have used is the EC 1118 i didnt like the way that batch turned out. it was squashy tasteing .

Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #128
Legacysmeadman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it has a dark beer taste to it and is in between dry and sweet.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #129
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Has any one considered adding say New Mexico Chiles to this? Typically NM Chiles are roasted anyway as it really enhances the flavour. It seems to me a burnt carmelish flavour would mix very very well with a NM Chile undertone. If no one has tried this I may have to and keep you all up to date.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 AM   #130
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Just got done making up a 1 gallon batch of this. I used some old honey I had laying around that had gone all crystallized and SWMBO wanted to throw out mixed with a pound of orange blossom (added after "burning" the old stuff). I boiled on the stove for just about 1 hour. I didn't want to get to the burnt stage, but it is pretty dark with reddish notes. I stopped when I noticed that the steam was actually slightly smokey.

I didn't get the toasted marshmallows smell folks have talked about. More of a sickly sweet mixed with melting plastic/chemical. Before you ask, yes I was using a metal stirring implement. The taste was closer to the toasted marshmallow though. This should be interesting.

I'm guessing (half full crystallized honey jar) I had about 2.5# of honey in 1 gallon. OG came in right at 1.100, though I think that may be off due to not mixing well enough before taking a sample. Also added 1 tsp each of yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. Yeast used was D47. I'll post pics of what I have in the morning.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Quick Reply