Mead Yeast - 24B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
OK. So I tried a champagne type yeast WL WLP715. 16lb clover/2lb strawberry, OG 1.092, FG 0.997. Really dry. Probably good for a 24A. Drank it all before I even considered entering it anywhere. Drank last bottle at 8.5 years.

Tried a beer type yeast - WYeast 1728 Scottish. Very sweet , tasty even after 9.5 years. Still have a few bottles. 21lb clover, OG 1.120, FG 1.052. Just entered in the local Ren fest (24C).

I want to brew something in between. 6 gallon batches. Don't want too much surprise, and I'm willing to wait a while. What's a good yeast choice?

TIA

Dave

Did I ask a dumb question on yeast types that no one want to answer? :confused:

I didn't find the answer in a search, except may be the 116.

How about a recommended link?

Thanks

Dave

The mead forum seems to be quite a bit slower then the beer forums. I haven't even finished my first ever mead, but I thought I would respond and try and kick start your responses. D47 seems to be a highly recommended strain around here. I used 1118 in my first mead and it is fermenting very dry. Im excited for it none the less.

SkiSoloII -
I have made a few sweet meads (Sweet for me), FG 1.020 with standard 1056 / WLP01. I'm going to make one next with US-05 and try to see if I can max out the ABV and finish at just about 1.005 using the SNA process. I think I will be able to start it this Sunday or so, but it will take a couple of months to see how it comes out. I have a 5 gallon braggot as the yeast starter going now. :)
All the wine yeast and champagne yeast has always finished very dry for me, and I just have a problem with how they taste, but with a couple of yeast they do turn great.

Back