*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > mead without nutrients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
gmay10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mead without nutrients

I made a mead last October and I did a bunch of things wrong. It was my first mead and I have learned a lot since it happened. I was basically a homebrewer and decided to try something different. I used 12lbs of honey and then hand picked all the seeds out of 6 pomegranates. Unfortunately, I boiled the pomegranates to sanitize them (I now know that that sets the pectin and it will probably be hazy forever). I put all that into a 5 gallon fermenting bucket and threw in Red Star Montrachet yeast. It did ferment and then I put it into secondary. I never took a hydrometer reading because I was a novice and it wasn't on the agenda or do to stupidity. It has been in secondary for over 6 months. How does not adding a yeast nutrient change how it fermented? Like I said, it was bubbling and fermenting at a pretty good pace for a while. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas- happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

well...To start with, not enough nutrient causes the yeast to have a hard time doing it's job. It can cause "Off" flavors, and a slow ferment. All of that is splitting hairs at this point. Now the issue is how does it taste, and what is your ending gravity? If the gravity is low and it seems stable, bottle it. If it tastes good....and I'll bet it does, don't stress now about not having added nutrients 6 or 8 months ago.

Post a picture......better yet, send us some to taste test for you

Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Maine Homebrewer
Recipes 

If it tastes good it is good.

Relax, don't worry....

Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

It's not too late to try adding pectic enzyme. Draw some of your mead and try adding about 3 teaspoons. Pour it back in and wait a couple of weeks to see if it clears. Alternately, you could just leave it cloudy -it doesn't hurt the flavor.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did basically the same thing, a year and a half ago. It turned out fine. I still have a bottle and a half. Need to partake of that half bottle to see what a little age did.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Quick Reply