Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead virgin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Okay so I made mom some rootbeer and have 3 lbs of honey left. Can I make a small batch of honey mead? I'm an all grain brewer so I have everything I need in equipment but I have never tried a mead. Anyone have an easy mead recipe with 3 lbs of honey?

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 123

You could probably make about a 1.5 gal. batch

Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 98

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes...ge-mead-49106/

Fermenter: ESB (2.5 gal)
Secondary: Imperial Stout
Bottled: Saison
Drinking: Deadringer IPA

My Blog: All about my trail running and brewing (but not at the same time!)

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodySeth
Looks like a very easy recipe. From reading the thread, it seems warmer temps are better. Some also mentioned using ale yeast. Seems like this could be a lot of fun. Thx for the link

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Looks like a very easy recipe. From reading the thread, it seems warmer temps are better. Some also mentioned using ale yeast. Seems like this could be a lot of fun. Thx for the link
If you're gonna try the JAO recipe, it's best not to mess with it for a first attempt.

That way, you will have a benchmark batch and know what it will come out like if repeated etc. Sure it may be that you have to use a different brand of yeast, but as long as it's a standard bread yeast then should be fine.

With 3lb of honey, just make it up to a gallon with water. Yeast and nutrients etc, will give you a basic traditional. It just depends on which yeast you chose and how you manage it etc......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Fletch78 Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Okay so I made mom some rootbeer and have 3 lbs of honey left. Can I make a small batch of honey mead? I'm an all grain brewer so I have everything I need in equipment but I have never tried a mead. Anyone have an easy mead recipe with 3 lbs of honey?

The biggest problem beer brewers run into when making mead is thinking they have enough equipment but are used to turning beer over much more quickly, 7 day primary, 2 week secondary, bottle, then your fermenters are free to start another batch. Mead will take longer, even the "quick mead" recipes. It's basically wine-making with honey instead of grapes. If you brew alot, you might want to get another bucket or two (or carboy) for mead, that you can set aside and still keep pumping out your beers.

I agree with the poster above, you should go with a simple mead to start with, you won't be disappointed.

3 pounds honey
1 gallon spring water (spring water has minerals that yeast like)
1 pack wine yeast (at this point, for your first mead, who cares... ask the best yeast for mead to 100 people and you'll get 200 answers)
1 dose of yeast nutrient

Stir the honey and water together, boil if it makes you feel better but it isn't necessary. Don't worry about infection. Just make sure it's stirred in really well, this will also aerate the must. ("must" is to mead/wine as "wort" is to beer)

Pitch yeast per directions. At first sign of fermentation (but not before), add yeast nutrient per directions on the particular nutrient mix. Might be a teaspoon, might be a pinch, etc.

Make sure to ferment it in the temp range advised for the particular yeast. That's more important than what type of particular yeast you use.

When it appears done, it isn't. Leave it in primary for at least 30 days, or longer. Bottle. Hide in cool dark place for 6 months minimum.

It's really not hard, it's only hard if you make it hard.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
1 gallon spring water (spring water has minerals that yeast like)
A nice thought, but incorrect.

Spring water is a meaningless term. Dunno about the US but EU regs just mean its bottled at source. It (the water) could actually come from a "proper"spring but if its bottled away from the source it cannot legally be sold as "spring" water......

As for the minerals found in some bottled water ? There aren't enough to make much of a difference. For that to happen it'd need the nutritional value of raw sewage.....

It's a bit like the arguments for or against distilled water. The only issue I've read about is the presence of calcium and/or magnesium salts i.e. "hard" water causing harshness to the flavour.

Normally, you'd expect to provide all the nutrients etc in the ingredients some how...... whether its actually nutrient/energiser or fruit or boiled bread yeast etc etc.......

To rely on the tiny amounts of trace minerals to make much of a difference is folly.....

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
If you're gonna try the JAO recipe, it's best not to mess with it for a first attempt. That way, you will have a benchmark batch and know what it will come out like if repeated etc. Sure it may be that you have to use a different brand of yeast, but as long as it's a standard bread yeast then should be fine. With 3lb of honey, just make it up to a gallon with water. Yeast and nutrients etc, will give you a basic traditional. It just depends on which yeast you chose and how you manage it etc......
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was going to change it. I meant other meads, graff's etc using ale yeast. I already did the JOAM this weekend and followed the recipe exactly. It seems this opens up a whole new area of brewing. Pretty interesting stuff. I picked up 4 1 gallon fermenters this weekend to get a few going as I was thinking I don't want to tie up my fermenters for beer for that long.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was going to change it. I meant other meads, graff's etc using ale yeast. I already did the JOAM this weekend and followed the recipe exactly. It seems this opens up a whole new area of brewing. Pretty interesting stuff. I picked up 4 1 gallon fermenters this weekend to get a few going as I was thinking I don't want to tie up my fermenters for beer for that long.
Equally, I didn't mean to sound critical. There are a few tweaks you can do with JAO to change it for the better or just change it a little (better is subjective).

A lot of the ideas presented as changes or variants, just don't work. Like changing the bread yeast for wine yeast. Wine yeast usually takes it dry, so that there's no residual sweetness to balance the bitterness that comes from the white pith in the orange - and you end up with a batch that focuses the flavour on the bitterness - so it needs some back sweetening/stabilising to make sure it's gonna be nice enough to drink - it's bloody horrible as a dry recipe.

Equally, people make it and because they don't usually enjoy maybe cloves or cinnamon etc, they leave it out, and wonder why it's not so nice, less complex tasting for a sweet mead. They don't follow that if the recipe is adhered too, the spices add, but don't over do the flavour, like you might have found when eating apple pie or whatever as a child........

good on yer for the efforts and I hope the batches turn out as good as you likely hope.......

Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
Equally, I didn't mean to sound critical. There are a few tweaks you can do with JAO to change it for the better or just change it a little (better is subjective). A lot of the ideas presented as changes or variants, just don't work. Like changing the bread yeast for wine yeast. Wine yeast usually takes it dry, so that there's no residual sweetness to balance the bitterness that comes from the white pith in the orange - and you end up with a batch that focuses the flavour on the bitterness - so it needs some back sweetening/stabilising to make sure it's gonna be nice enough to drink - it's bloody horrible as a dry recipe. Equally, people make it and because they don't usually enjoy maybe cloves or cinnamon etc, they leave it out, and wonder why it's not so nice, less complex tasting for a sweet mead. They don't follow that if the recipe is adhered too, the spices add, but don't over do the flavour, like you might have found when eating apple pie or whatever as a child........ good on yer for the efforts and I hope the batches turn out as good as you likely hope.......
I love the idea of the bread yeast. I would love to see what variants people have tried with that yeast too! I have s04 s05 Nottingham and champagne Yeast in the fridge most times but never the bread yeast. It intigued me and I can't figure out why it works in this recipe nut not in others. Do you know why? Is it just be use of the exact ingredients?

Quick Reply