Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > mead virgin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
csacannoneer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mead virgin

im wanting step into the.realm of mead but don't want to tackle any super complicated recipes nor wish to make any of this so called "cheat mead" anyone out there with a good simple recipe for a first timer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
derek81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

<~~~had my cherry popped almost 3 weeks ago. I did the following recipe and made 3 gallons.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/joes...ad-joam-45152/

Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
csacannoneer
Recipes 

sounds miiiiiiiiighty tasty thanks may add a clove to it just for a lil extra kick

Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

First thing you need to do is figure out how strong you want to make it, and how much you want to make. That will determine how much honey you'll need.

Depending on the strength and the temperatures where you ferment, select a yeast from the Lalvin selection. Use the mead calculation tool from the Got Mead web site to help get an idea of how much honey to use for the batch. Keep in mind, they're talking TOTAL volume, so don't add that much water to the mix.

Once you have it all mixed, you'll want to add things like yeast energizer and/or yeast nutrient to the must to help the yeast along. You really shouldn't need to do anything else for that aspect.

Now, for the actual honey to use, you want to pick something strong in flavor so that it remains when finished. Also, don't heat the mix above 100-110F or you will start to lose a lot of what makes the honey, and mead, great.

Something else to keep in mind, mead takes a LOT longer than beer. When you make a batch of mead, expect it to be in vessel for 9-12 months, or longer. My 'low ABV' batches (~14%) go at least 9 months in bulk form before going to bottle. I'd rather they went a solid year though.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
csacannoneer
Recipes 

thanks i made an effort once at it just a gallon batch with mandrin oranges and apricots I'm not even gonna describe the results lol i used it for weed killer

Old 06-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
MrSweet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As I am sure has been mentioned countless times on this forum, The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm is insanely helpful for starting out.

I just started last month myself and made the simplest of meads right out of page 25 of that book; honey, water, yeast, energizer, and nutrients. I tried it when I racked it from the primary ferment bucket to the carboy and the flavor was insanely good (still mighty sweet though, I am hoping it calms down a bit over time).

I think the book is worth buying; tons of good info and some good suggestions for progressions.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Problem with that book is it's seriously out of date. Even Ken has commented about that (on the Got Mead forums). A good amount of what's in there is no longer valid. Ken has also commented that there won't be an updated release (last I heard at least) due to the publisher not being interested.

SO, go to the Got Mead forums, or use more current methods. Such as NOT racking until the mead is actually done fermenting.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Onihige
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Personally, I wouldn't recommend any fruit/berry meads or anything spiced. Just get a taste for plain mead, and if you don't like it - flavor it. But on the other hand, fruits and berries makes it a whole lot easier to ferment.

Mix water and honey until you hit a good OG, add yeast and/or nutrients. Ferment, rack, clear, age and all that. No idea of your brewing experience, so either keep asking questions or read up. If you're used to just making beer, though, I have one thing to say: it will ferment completely dry if you've got a strong yeast and a "low" OG.

Edit: Accually... I'd suggest two batches. One JOAM following the recipe completely, and another 1 gallon of plain mead. 1 gallon batches aren't that expensive and they don't take up much space anyway.

And not to mention, good luck and have fun.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige
add yeast and/or nutrients
You really need both....

I've been asked quite a bit recently about making mead, seems people are getting more and more curious and want an alternative to wine and beer.

What I have been telling them is similar to what Onihige said. Start with two one gallon batches, a JAOM, followed to the letter, it's a simple inexpensive set it and forget it recipe (although I didn't make one til I was 8-9 batches of mead into the obsession). Then make a traditional honey/water/yeast/nutrient recipe with a decent honey. This way they learn the basics of good sanitization, mixing the must, rehydration of yeast, oxygenation, using a hydrometer, staggered nutrients, and daily aeration for first 1/3. Plus this let's them see what a simple clean recipe tastes like and looks like through all of the different stages.

The reason I recommend the one gallon batches is ease of handling, space and upfront cost, set up for 2, 1 gallon batches, equipment wise can be done for around $40 or less and it can all be used over and over even when they start making larger batches.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
csacannoneer
Recipes 

talking of O.G what would be a good baseline to go with in other words what.would best as a minimum

Quick Reply