*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead for unborn child's wedding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
BrantlyJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mead for unborn child's wedding

Hopefully no one thinks this is weird, but my Wife is currently pregnant and I was thinking about making a mead that could be served at my child's future wedding.
The idea is to make it the day of or as close to it as possible the day he/she is born. Then it can be served as a toast on the wedding day. I would also make another batch the day of the marriage and give the bottles as a gift on the first anniversary. One to open each year with the hope that the mead, like their marriage, will hopefully be better each year.

I actually got the idea online and it gave a recipe. I wish I had saved the link because now I can't find it.

Anyone willing to help me with a recipe? I've made beer. So I have some brewing knowledge and equipment. I would need to get some additional carboys as I would make a total of ten gallons.
I would need something that will turn out well but be pretty foolproof as I really don't have time to make a practice batch.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This link has tons of mead info and recipes: http://davespicks.com/writing/mme/contents.html

If I were you I'd be worried it would go bad or just be bad. Not to mention some people never marry or wait until 30+ years old to get married.

Sorry to rain on your parade

Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sounds like a great opportunity for making a whisk(e)y, too bad its illegal...

I would be somewhat worried about something potentially that old going bad

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2884

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantlyJ View Post
Hopefully no one thinks this is weird, but my Wife is currently pregnant and I was thinking about making a mead that could be served at my child's future wedding.
The idea is to make it the day of or as close to it as possible the day he/she is born. Then it can be served as a toast on the wedding day. I would also make another batch the day of the marriage and give the bottles as a gift on the first anniversary. One to open each year with the hope that the mead, like their marriage, will hopefully be better each year.

I actually got the idea online and it gave a recipe. I wish I had saved the link because now I can't find it.

Anyone willing to help me with a recipe? I've made beer. So I have some brewing knowledge and equipment. I would need to get some additional carboys as I would make a total of ten gallons.
I would need something that will turn out well but be pretty foolproof as I really don't have time to make a practice batch.

Any help is appreciated.
You are going to want to drink it yourself when he/she hits 15. Make 3.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm NOT going to rain on your parade. Nothing weird about this plan. I would probably go with a very simple recipe, honey, water, yeast. I wouldn't do anything too experimental with this batch. Maybe shoot for something with a hint of sweetness, because you never know if the people drinking it 20 years from now will be into dry or sweet wines. I think a very slightly sweet mead would go over well with a wide variety of drinkers.

I would definitely get a batch of good corks, they do differ in terms of quality, and consider taking extra steps to prevent oxidation due to aging. You could try to find some bottles that will take a cork and a crown cap. That way you can cap and cork them. Heck, dip them in a little wax to provide further protection and a touch of class!

Good luck on this. It's a great idea!

BTW, I hope this makes sense, I've had a couple delicious, but potent brews from my local brewpub!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 560 Posts
Likes Given: 2162

I think this is a cool idea. I'd say most importantly to go with the best synthetic corks you can find so you'll have the best seal possible. Maybe wax it too, wax protects & looks cool too.

I would think you MIGHT want to go with a high ABV recipe since it'll have such a long time to age. Maybe something off-dry. So do you make a straight show mead or a melomel? Why not a batch of each?

For a show mead I'd go with a really tasty & high quality varietal. Orange blossom is always a crowd pleaser, or maybe a berry blossom honey. Mesquite is very distinctive, so is tupelo, both of those would likely hold their own through the years. My Favourite is acacia honey, it's delicate & VERY floral, but I'm not sure how those flavours/aromas would hold up after 18 or 20 years of aging.

For a melomel, I think I'd split a batch into two 3 gallon carbouys. One with peach & the other with blackberry. For the melomel honey I'd either go with the same varietal as the fruit, or go with something more generic like clover or alfalfa honey.

No matter what you decide to make, you'll want to make enough so you can sample it every couple of years to see how it's progressing. Maybe bottle some in 12oz beer bottles & use those for samplers. Just take your time, use the very best ingredients, pay attention to detail & get it right the 1st time. Good luck & congrats on the future brewer. Regards, GF.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
BrantlyJ
Recipes 

I had thought about it being or going bad. Someone suggested to do in beer bottles so I can taste it along the way. Sounds like a good idea.
I take it mead dosn't age like wine does? Maybe I should look into making wine instead?

As for the never marry or wait forever, it's a risk, but I think it would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gordon_Freeman View Post
This link has tons of mead info and recipes: http://davespicks.com/writing/mme/contents.html

If I were you I'd be worried it would go bad or just be bad. Not to mention some people never marry or wait until 30+ years old to get married.

Sorry to rain on your parade

Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Great Idea! I second the corking and capping idea. You want to have as much protection as possible. I am planning on making a strong beer for my soon-to-be born daughter's 21st birthday, but remember that a marriage in this day and age could come much later than 21, so you have to be prepared for a long aging time.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know if cross-forum references are discouraged, but this is a very similar thread on a different forum: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15446

IMO, that forum has better and more complete information on meadmaking than this one does.

Also, based on what I've learned about meads, Polish people make some crazy meads that can age very well. A Półtorak is made with two parts honey, one part water (and step feeding is used to avoid shocking the yeast), and I have heard of those aging for 25+ years. I would also recommend doing research on corks and wax. I have heard that synthetic corks don't last as long as the highest grade natural corks, but gratus fermentatio may have a better source saying that synthetic corks are better.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Confucius
Recipes 

Just my $.02, go with a show mead (that is, water, honey, yeast, nutrient) as melomels age well, but will not last as long as a show mead (I mean, what if you're child doesn't get married until 35?). Personally, I'm not sure if synthetic or cork are better, but I would certainly bulk age it for several years before bottling (less surface area, more consistent temperature). Shoot for a high alcohol, it will be aging for a minimum of 21 years, so the high alcohol will be useful.

Quick Reply