Mead tastes horrible! 1 month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
Its been one month and it tastes aweful! Has like beer characteristics and a whiskey after taste that also feels like I'm actually take a shot. Still drinking it but it so bad!

Was it because I used old honey that was months old and unpasterized which became rock hard and crystallized? It also kinda smells like whiskey

or

Was it because I left blackberries for a month in there?

At 1 month I'm surprised its done fermenting, the few meads I've made I didn't drink till at least 6 months. Meads take awhile to ferment out if you don't add any kind of yeast nutrient. The last few I added nutrient to and they were done in the 6-7 month range.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some of my meads have tasted horrible at one month. I then racked into bottles and put in the fridge for a cold-condensation. This crashed out a lot of stuff.

I then reracked again and repeated.
Finally, after the mead cleared up well it tasted pretty good, had a hint of funk in it, but was drinkable.

It tastes horrible because it hasn't aged. You need to wait at least 6 months before you even think about trying it. Many people I know won't even think about their mead until it's aged a year.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You're drinking unfinished mead, that's why it tastes so bad. Bulk age that mead for a year & it'll be sooooo much better!
Regards, GF.

You can't judge a mead at only a month in. Give it time to mature and then be amazed at how much better the mead will get. Patience!

I cold stabilized it and it tastes smooth with that bad taste. I thought it would be like drinkable after a month or two, like red wine lol

I'll be back on this in 7 months

I cold stabilized it and it tastes smooth with that bad taste. I thought it would be like drinkable after a month or two, like red wine lol

I'll be back on this in 7 months
Where did you get that idea ?

Red wines often havent finished extracting colour etc from the skins at that point (method/techniques and grape dependant).

Just because meads are made from honey why would they be any different ? How could they magically have any residual character of the original honey when most/all the sugars have fermented out and are now alcohol ?

A lot of young meads will indeed taste hideous for some time. 6 months aging is the very minimum.........

Back