mead in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr210

Reaction score
hey everyone, so i got 3 quick ones about mead and secondary fermentation

1) when racking mead to a secondary, is it necessary to "fill from the bottom" so as not to aerate it?

2) should i take the fruits from the primary and move them to the secondary as well?

3) last but not least, the mead im currently brewing is ancient orange. i had an idea to add some toasted oak chips to it when i rack it, anyone ever tried this and know if it would be a good idea?

thanks a bunch

Yes, you siphon the mead from one container to the other and try not to splash too much.

You typically don't move the fruit from the primary to the secondary.

JOA recipe specifically states not to rack. I almost always have a batch or two going and I leave it until all the fruit sinks and it's crystal clear then move it to a bottling bucket but I suppose you could move it and add oak chips.

sweetsdream said:
Yes, you siphon the mead from one container to the other and try not to splash too much.

You typically don't move the fruit from the primary to the secondary.

JOA recipe specifically states not to rack. I almost always have a batch or two going and I leave it until all the fruit sinks and it's crystal clear then move it to a bottling bucket but I suppose you could move it and add oak chips.

How long does it usually take to clear up? Mine is almost a month old and it's still quite murky. Tons of sediment on the bottom but not clear by any means.

Leave for at least 2 months an it should clear. I know it's hard looking at it every day and hoping for progress but jut leaving it alone will pay off.

Cool. Thanks. I had a group of guys from my hb club over for mead day and we made different stuff but let the wives make the JAO. It's sitting on the kitchen counter still and I look at it all the time. I can see progress but it still has a long way to go. Thank you for the reply!

Back