Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead recipes/equiptment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 AM   #11
rightwingnut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How does the addition of fruit work? Do you add it at the start? How much fruit for a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of a boysenberry mead. Also, is there anything to add to balance the sweetness, as hops do in beer, or would that make it "not mead".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default don't boil the fruit

if you boil the fruit, you will develop pectin and it will always be there as a protein haze in the finished product - it will not clear. I generally use campden tablets - crush them up in a little water and put them in the must and let it sit for 24 hours - then pitch your yeast. The campden tabs will kill all the nasty beasties that hang out in the fruit and give you a nice clean home for the yeast when you pitch it.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
mmehawich
Recipes 

I recomend freezing/thawing the fruit before adding it to primary (use a nylon fruit bag for easy removal). This helps break down the cell walls of the fruit and let the most amount of juice flow into the wort. I don't use campden tablets, so I just pour boiling water over the fruit- if you're worried about pectin, use pectic enzyme- I have never had a pectin haze in a mead before. As far as amounts of fruit to use, it really depends on what you want to achieve in the finished product. If you want to bring out the honey character and just have a hint of fruit use 1-3lbs, but again this varies. If you want lots of fruit character, use way more than you think you would. My last mead was a raspberry melomel and I used 15lbs of frozen raspberries in there! Some would say that this is way to much, but it really did turn out fantastic. Spices are not an uncommon addition to mead (check out some metheglin recipes). I had a blueberry metheglin that was yummy- had cinnamon stick, whole cloves, slices of ginger, and lemon peel. Here is a link to Got Mead's recipe links: http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/
Good starting point for doing some recipe research.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
How does the addition of fruit work? Do you add it at the start? How much fruit for a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of a boysenberry mead. Also, is there anything to add to balance the sweetness, as hops do in beer, or would that make it "not mead".
When it's done fermenting, mead is dry as a bone. No sweetness to worry about.

Boysenberry should be good (freeze em first). Tangy fruits have always given me the best results. Best were kiwi and pineapple meads. I still have two 10+ year-old bottles of the pineapple mead.
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-18-2005, 02:14 AM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
When it's done fermenting, mead is dry as a bone. No sweetness to worry about.

Boysenberry should be good (freeze em first). Tangy fruits have always given me the best results. Best were kiwi and pineapple meads. I still have two 10+ year-old bottles of the pineapple mead.

Kiwi mead, now that sounds delicious!!!
I might go out and get another carboy and try that!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply