Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead recipes/equiptment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
Michael_Currie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mead recipes/equiptment

What eqiuptment is needed to make mead. Also any good recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Kotzbrocken
Recipes 

Same equipment you use to make beer. At least, that's what I used.

The "recipe" I used:
15 lbs clover honey.
Water to make mixture 5 gallons
1 or 2 tablespoons yeast nutrient (can't remember, it's been awhile)
Some sort of champaigne yeast (I found out later that there is mead yeast available)

I boiled the honey and 2 gallons of the water for a half hour or so. Let it cool, added the rest of the water, the nutrient and pitched the yeast. I let it ferment for a month and a half at around 70 degrees (F)

You can't really call it a recipe. I only made it as an experiment, and it turned out extremely sweet but with a definite kick.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
mmehawich
Recipes 

Mead is much more simple to make than beer. The downside is that 1) honey is expensive! (not uncommon to spend $50 on honey for a batch of mead, unless you buy huge quantities or know a beekeeper...) and 2) brewing mead requires a great deal of patience as it takes months rather than weeks to ferment and age. Here are some important tips to keep in mind:

1) Always buy unfiltered, unpasturized honey. Honey has many volatile aromas that are lost if it is heat pasturized.

2) Never boil the must. Rather, hold the temp. below the boiling point when skimming the waxy stuff that floats to the top. I usually only hold the must at this temperature for 20 min.

3) Don't feel like you have to use campden tablets to sterilize the must. Just keep all your gear sanitary, aerate the must properly, and pitch yeast that you've given a good head start to.

4) Honey can be deficient in certain nutrients that yeast need. If you don't have fruit in your mead, make sure to add some yeast nutrient.

5) For melomels, try Lalvin 71B- I've had really consistant results with it.

6) Be patient! The longer you wait to drink it the better. Mead can stand up to some serious aging.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default honey from the beekeeper

beekeepers are all over the place - they are easy to find! If you find you enjoy making mead enough, you may even want to keep your own bees. You don't need a lot of room - I recently read an article about a guy who keeps a couple of hives on a balcony in Paris.

Still, most folks will not want to get right into beekeeping just to support their fledgling mead habit. If you want to find local honey, go to Honey Locator (honeylocator.com). They do not list all beekeepers but they will list enough to get you started.

Another thing to do is look for beekeeping clubs in your area - google is a good way to start with this. If you are in Michigan as I am, check the SouthEast Michigan Beekeepers Association (SEMBA) at www.sembabees.org

Good luck! Have fun!!!!!

Old 01-22-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
crum
Recipes 

I still don't even know what mead is or taste like, but the talk about it has me curious. I may have to follow some advise and make some.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default do it

If you do not want to spend the money on something you may not like, try making only a gallon. It is so easy to make that you should at least give it a whirl even if only for the experience.

the hardest thing about mead is waiting

Old 01-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to use my old Mr. Beer for making mead.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmmmm, if my neighbor on a balcany had bee hives I would prob hate him...... but none the less I was thinking of trying this one day soon. Sounds like its pretty easy.

Are there any good ingrediant kits to buy? Any recomendations on the type of meed?

Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default kits for mead

there are a few out there, you could try Williams Brewing - they have a kit here

but it is really so simple you can pick up a couple of things at your local homebrew shop, get some honey from your friendly neighborhood apiarist and take it from there.

Either way, remember Charlie's advice and relax

Old 02-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
KingDeer
Recipes 

Default Looking for honey?

If you're looking for local honey - just hollar, I have access to local beekeepers all over the country and Canada. More than likely, I can hook you up somebody local if you're having trouble finding one.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves -- Will Rogers

Quick Reply