Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > mead recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
david83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

well ill update this thread i just moved into a house and put in the wine thief grabbed a little and wow its rocket fuel oh well i suppose lesson learned. no taste of strawberry and literally tastes like gabage down the drain it goes.

-Problem is a lot of people are retarded, and one thing retarded people are good at is blaming everyone else when they do something idiotic-

Keg 1-Slap U in the face Orange Kolsch!
Keg 2-English brown eYe ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Wait dnt do that.... stabilize it then take sugar fruit water. Heat it up to a 150 for 1 hour strain ad to graduated cylinder. Sweeten to the gravity you like ....then add to your bulk....let set 6 more months and taste....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david83 View Post
well ill update this thread i just moved into a house and put in the wine thief grabbed a little and wow its rocket fuel oh well i suppose lesson learned. no taste of strawberry and literally tastes like gabage down the drain it goes.
Don't do that! At the verry least you have some good marinade. Never throw away a bad batch.

Matrix
Also, I agree that if it's still in caroby it can be saved, just stablize, and backsweeten, maybe add some fruit.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
david83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
Don't do that! At the verry least you have some good marinade. Never throw away a bad batch.

Matrix
Also, I agree that if it's still in caroby it can be saved, just stablize, and backsweeten, maybe add some fruit.
interested in this could you go into depth about the procedure what do u mean stabilize i assume just backsweeten with more honey right?
i havent dumped it yet lol havnt had time lol

-Problem is a lot of people are retarded, and one thing retarded people are good at is blaming everyone else when they do something idiotic-

Keg 1-Slap U in the face Orange Kolsch!
Keg 2-English brown eYe ale!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Stabilize is a one word saying for:

Add a crushed up Camden tablet (potassium metabisulfate) per gallon AND 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate per gallon to halt any further cell division of the yeast cells. "no more fermentation".

This way you can add honey to give you the level of sweetness you want. It is always good to to sweeten to just under what you like too because 6 months from now it will taste sweeter than it does now.

Depending on yeast and fermentation conditions it is possible to have very little fruit flavor if fruit was added to primary, especially if the mead has fermented dry and there is no residual sugar to bring out the fruity flavor.

Stabilize and then back sweeten a little with honey and rack onto some more strawberry. It will taste 100 times better in 6 months and even more a year from now.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david83 View Post
interested in this could you go into depth about the procedure what do u mean stabilize i assume just backsweeten with more honey right?
i havent dumped it yet lol havnt had time lol
Yes, to Stablize the mead. That is stop fermentation from going again, Use some Potasium Sorbate. It is easily found in your HBS. For a 5 gal batch a tablespoon should do. I like to use a cup of water to disolve it into and then poor into the mead. You then mix it carefully so as not to introduce more oxygen. Then wait 2 days for it to slow down and stop the yeasties currently in the mead. At that point you can add more honey on a racking. Mix the honey 50% honey, 50% water. 4-6 pounds for a 5 gal batch should be plenty for a sweet mead. That will take it from dry to sweet. Some like to take a sample out and add the honey water mix to taste. This has some problems as some sweetness comes back with age.

Matrix

Quick Reply