Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
sethlovex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Interesting points acropolis and city, like the old carpenter says there always more than one way to skin a cat...but I digress. Never having brewed (terminology?) a mead but am strongly considering to fill up my extra carboy (I have three) thanks for the five gallon conversion for Joam. I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy so I would like to forgo the addition of nutrients/subsequent honey/ effort so I think the Joam is great for my first batch. Has anyone tried making this sparkling or is that a bad idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
sethlovex
Recipes 

One last question, if use a 6.5 carboy initially, how soon can I rack to a five gallon? What is the water volume to add, enough for five gallons total product?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

For a JAOM If using a 6.5 gallon then leave it there till the fruit drops or after 3 months minimum. If you leave it alone as the recipe calls for then there should be a blanket of CO2 over the mead the whole time preventing oxidization.

The recipe claims it is drinkable by 3 months but I really started enjoying my last JAOM at the 7 month mark. That is when it starts to shine IMO. So rack to the 5 gallon at the 3 - 4 month mark and wait another 3 months. Should be tasty then.

12 punds of honey is one gallon of volume so all the ingediants will be about 1.5 gallons and 3.5 gallons of water needed to bring the whole bit up to 5 gallons total volume. Give or take a cup or so of liquid.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
sethlovex
Recipes 

Thanks this helps. As for honey I found 3# containers at whole foods for ten bucks , does anyone know of more economical option? Doesn't matter to me but its organic

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
maverick9862
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That's a decent price. I bought 5 gal (about 70lbs) for $275 from a local bee keeper, which works out to about $4/lb. Keep in mind, that was major bulk order.

When I bought commercial, I could get 3lbs for $14 which is $4.7/lb. Just take note of where the honey comes from and 'organic' may be more of a gimmick than actual. If it comes from china or india, they've been having problems of folks adding cheap filler, such as corn syrup.

Plus I always recommend buying locally. Trading a beer or two might help with the price too!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
sethlovex
Recipes 

Thanks maverick, I will investigate. Ok, onto my first batch of JOAM! Ill tell you all about it in 6 months, hehehe

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9862 View Post
That's a decent price. I bought 5 gal (about 70lbs) for $275 from a local bee keeper, which works out to about $4/lb. Keep in mind, that was major bulk order.

When I bought commercial, I could get 3lbs for $14 which is $4.7/lb. Just take note of where the honey comes from and 'organic' may be more of a gimmick than actual. If it comes from china or india, they've been having problems of folks adding cheap filler, such as corn syrup.

Plus I always recommend buying locally. Trading a beer or two might help with the price too!
Even at $4/lb you are not getting good enough prices. I suggest you check further or do a group buy with other mead makers. On the low end I would expect about $2/lb for wildflower or a common honey. On the medium end I would expect about $3/lb for like orange blossom or raspberry blossum or buckwheat even. But $4/lb that's your premium tulopo or the rare honey types. I can get $4/lb in Costco that is wildflower honey. Still not good honey but that's non-bulk (about 6 pounds). So wow, they are still expecting premiums on their honey.

Where you located?

Matrix

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Even worse price seeing as a 5lb bucket will yield 60 lbs

Kegged empty

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dutch gold sells 60 pound buckets of wildflower for $114 ($1.90/lb), Orange blossom for $124 ($2.06/lb), and if you don't mind a mix of stuff their "bakers special" (wildflower and the left over of a little bit of all of their varieties) which would probably be ok for melomels/metheglins with real strong fruit and spice profiles or big batches of JAOM for $99 ($1.65/lb).....they sell only "true souce" honey, so you know youre not getting any of the imported blended fake crap.

plus tax/shipping ofcourse

When sourcing local though, raw honey, you can probably expect to pay a bit more but quality wise it's usually amazing stuff

Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
maverick9862
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Located in southern MD, which is 2 hours from anything civilized. The honey I bought was lower in moisture content and the full 5 gal bucket carried 70# of honey (not including the weight of the bucket).

I'd call it top quality, plus I know who and where it came from. But that's getting into personal preferences.

But that's my experience in buying honey, so I call $4/lb a good deal. But if you can get quality stuff for cheaper and even into the $2/lb range, go for it!

Quick Reply