The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
GeorgiaBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mead Recipe

I have never made mead and would like to get a sweet mead 5 gallon recipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

5 gallon JAOM recipe (Joes Ancient Orange mead)

17.5 lb of honey
5 whole oranges cut up into 1/8th pieces
125 raisins
10 whole clove
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp all spice
5 cinnamon sticks
2 individual packages of "fleischmann bread yeast"

Mix all the ingrediants except the yeast and mix very very well and shake about to mix in plenty of oxygen. Sprinkle the yeast in the carboy on top, add airlock and then leave it alone for 4 - 6 months. The fruit should settle to the bottom. Once it it does or the 4 -6 month time passes then rack off the fruit and lees. Let it clear further in secondary over 30 days and then bottle.

The one gallon recipe can be found here: Joam recipe click here

If you can purchase a nice verietal honey like meadowfoam or orange blossom or... The you can do a traditional mead recipe like:

15 lb honey
100 golden raisins chopped fine
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer split into 4 parts feed every 24 hours starting with yeast pitch
Yeast: 1 package of Lalvin K1-V1116 rehydrated per package directions.

Again mix very well and leave this sit untill there is 1/2 inch of leese on the bottom and rack to a new container. repeat that untill no more lees collects at the bottom. When done you should have a gravity reading with your Hydrometer of 1.000 or lower. When the mead is really clear add the following:

5 crushed camden tablets
2 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate
2.25 lb of honey

The camden and sorbate keeps any residual yeast from fermenting more and the 2.25 lb of honey should bring your gravity up to about 1.015 which I would consider a semi sweet/sweet mead.

Those are my suggestions. Let us know what you try.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

and people have told me that the whole point of "JOAM" is that its supposed to be a cheap, easy, simple mead... this just sounds like a waste of time to me....

My advice: source 15-18 lbs of a decent orange blossom honey, use yeast nutrient, and ferment with wine yeast... Use staggered additions of the yeast nutrient for the 1st 2-4 days, degassing the mead before you stir it in to help support a healty fermentation. Just remember Quality in Quality OUT

Kegged empty

Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
GeorgiaBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew
and people have told me that the whole point of "JOAM" is that its supposed to be a cheap, easy, simple mead... this just sounds like a waste of time to me....

My advice: source 15-18 lbs of a decent orange blossom honey, use yeast nutrient, and ferment with wine yeast... Use staggered additions of the yeast nutrient for the 1st 2-4 days, degassing the mead before you stir it in to help support a healty fermentation. Just remember Quality in Quality OUT
Sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but how much yeast nutrient? And how often do I do the staggered additions?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

not an idiot question, being a beginner I use a bout a teaspoon additon with the yeast pitch and everyday for the first 3-4 days.

Good source for mead info would be to watcth this link

Kegged empty
Arpolis Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

I do reccomed wine yeast as I said as it is mostly going to be flavor neutral and you would want the honey to shine in a REAL mead. There are plenty of good wine yeasts to experiment with but being a beginner I would recommend going to your LHBS and asking them about the yeast profiles to gauge what you are looking to get out of you mead

Kegged empty

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
GeorgiaBeer
Recipes 

I do want the honey to be the star! Living in the North GA mountains, I have several sources for good fresh honey. Do you recommend orange blossom honey or will my local honey work?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Arpolis
Recipes 

When thinking about what yeast to use I rarely listen to my LHBS but it may just be them. They know their beer and wine but nit so mutch in the mead department. Lalvin K1-V1116 is a great yeast for traditionals. Lalvin 71b will work out well giving you a smoother taste while it is younger but with age 1116 wins out. D47 gives fruity hints or citrous flavors but only works if you ferment really cool like at around 60*F.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Arpolis
Recipes 

Local wild flower honey is great as long as you get it raw and unfiltered. So stick with that if the price is right.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
GeorgiaBeer
Recipes 

Ok. I'll be using my local honey. Thanks for all the help guys. I have my carboy occupied with beer now, but will definitely be making some mead soon.

Quick Reply