Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead questions (first timer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces View Post
Regarding the acid: Is this necessary if I'm making a sparkling melomel? Will the carbonic acid be enough to give it that desired flavor?

Regarding processing the fruit: would it be fine, then, to just add the fruit to the primary without pasteurizing or treating it? I want to make sure I understand you correctly, and I'm getting all kinds of different answers on the subject when I do forum searches.
I would use an acid blend, the three things i use in EVERY mead i make are acid blend, yeast nutrient, and yeast energizer. If i am using any kind of fruit, i also use Peptic Enzyme. You Could do the fruit with out pasteurizing it, but i would not recommend it at all, it could have a ton of wild yeast, bacteria, etc on it that could ruin what would other wise be a great mead.To me it just isn't worth the risk.Honestly, you dont much taste the acid so much as it keeps it from being "flat and lifeless" or "flabby".

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanoffermentation View Post
I have not had that happen, but once would make a campden user out of a guy. Just do the math and keep it in the <50ppm neighborhood. You don't want the taste affecting your brew. >50 is the low end of what some people can notice, or so I've read.

The one you had blow, did it have adjuncts like fruit or raisins or some variable like that? Maybe it was some malolactic thing you had going on that blew the thing.
Nope it was a Mead with Herbal tea and spices, no fruit,raisins etc.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply