New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead newbie questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
newbee17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

A

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
cg17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Good thread. I too am interested in taking a shot at mead.

Since most mead is still, do you bottle directly from the carboy?

Bottled: Rogue Mocha Porter clone, Belgian Wit, West Coast Pale, Harpoon Summer Ale
On Deck: Citra Pale

Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #23
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You bottle it when it's ready... You can age it in whatever you have on hand, in batch/bulk size... I plan on using corny kegs, then rack to the bottling bucket when it's time... Unless I have the setup to go direct from the keg into bottles that is...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
newbee17
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
You bottle it when it's ready... You can age it in whatever you have on hand, in batch/bulk size... I plan on using corny kegs, then rack to the bottling bucket when it's time... Unless I have the setup to go direct from the keg into bottles that is...
If you keg it and use keg 2 serve aswell would that not carbonate it??
I tought mead wasnt usually carbonated and served like wine

Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
Golddiggie
Recipes 

The way I plan to use the kegs there won't be any CO2 pressure on the mead. I could get one of the bottling guns that connect up to the liquid out posts on a keg, and push the mead out with CO2 (just enough to get it to flow)... Again, no carbonation going on.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
newbee17
Recipes 

Just made my first mead today

6# honey
2gal water(9ltrs)
Lalvin k1-v1116
SG-1.080

I was hoping for a sg of 1.115 but i tink i added to much water
as its my first time ill take note of it and learn for next time

Would i be right in assuming this is gonna be really dry??
Will some sweetness come back with age or will it go to dry for that??
As mead isnt availible here in shops dnt really no what to expect just like the sound of it

Critasism welcome

Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #27
Golddiggie
Recipes 

With K1V it will ferment fully out to dry, since it can go up to 18% ABV... If you have room left in the carboy/vessel, I'd add more honey. Since 6# of honey should only occupy 1/2 gallon of space, you should have some room left... I'd add another 4-5# of honey to the batch, which will bring your OG up to about 1.134, which will get you up to about 17.5% alcohol in the batch... Once you've taken your SG readings, for adding nutrients and such, you should have a bit of room again (as it gets closer to being finished)... At that point you can add a bit more honey so that it goes up to the limit of the yeast, and starts to have a touch of sweet again. I would add the 4# first, then figure out how much more you'll need to add as it ferments... Since you're adding it post first mixing, it could get a little tricky adding more (not rocket science, just don't dump a ton more in all at once)...

In my initial batches, I went with the set total volume, figured how much honey I should add, and went full bore. Next time, I plan to add a bit less, reserving some for later, so that it finishes a little lower (for the FG)... It's easy to add a bit more honey at the end, than to try and get it to ferment past what the yeast can do...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
newbee17
Recipes 

O rite the home brew store i use told me it would only go to 14%abv max.
is ther any other options as dont really want to add more expense to this as i dont no if ill like it or not

Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #29
Golddiggie
Recipes 

They don't know their Lalvin yeast at all then... Info is readily available online, and they should have the spec sheets on hand... http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp#

With the OG of your must, you're looking at ~12% ABV there... IF you don't stabilize it before adding more honey (it involves a few steps, which I've never done, since I make mine strong enough to go to dry closer to the yeast's tolerance) you'll either have a carbonated mead, or potential bombs...

I would be cautious about putting the batch into anything other than beer or champagne bottles.

The only options for getting it to not be dry are stabilizing it and adding more honey until it's closer to where you want it (don't go to where you want it now, since it will get sweeter/mellow as it ages) or adding more honey until it's fermented to the tolerance of the yeast, or to where the yeast stops, then add a bit more slowly...

If the person that told you that the Lalvin strain maxed out at 14% wasn't the owner, I'd tell the owner to educate their people on yeast... OR, tell him/them to at least use the reference material readily available until they KNOW the yeasts parameters. Giving such bad advice is horrible. IF I had a HBS that gave me that advice, and I found out how bad it was, I would stop going there. Unless the owner took care of things.

I'm sure HAD you been told that the yeast would go to ~18%, you probably would have selected another... For one thing D47 goes to ~14%... Keep in mind, the yeast can hit it's actual max a little lower, or higher, than the published amounts. But not by ~4%, maybe 1-2% variance (max)... If you ferment a bit warmer (within it's temperature range) then you could push it higher. Cooler and you could hit a lower level. BUT, I would not suggest doing that (lower that is) unless you plan to either filter the mead, or stabilize it. Especially if you plan to back sweeten it at all.

BTW, if you like the honey, and you like alcohol, there's a 99% chance you'll like the mead. I wouldn't make mead with honey that I didn't like the flavor of.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
newbee17
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
They don't know their Lalvin yeast at all then... Info is readily available online, and they should have the spec sheets on hand... http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp#

With the OG of your must, you're looking at ~12% ABV there... IF you don't stabilize it before adding more honey (it involves a few steps, which I've never done, since I make mine strong enough to go to dry closer to the yeast's tolerance) you'll either have a carbonated mead, or potential bombs...

I would be cautious about putting the batch into anything other than beer or champagne bottles.

The only options for getting it to not be dry are stabilizing it and adding more honey until it's closer to where you want it (don't go to where you want it now, since it will get sweeter/mellow as it ages) or adding more honey until it's fermented to the tolerance of the yeast, or to where the yeast stops, then add a bit more slowly...

If the person that told you that the Lalvin strain maxed out at 14% wasn't the owner, I'd tell the owner to educate their people on yeast... OR, tell him/them to at least use the reference material readily available until they KNOW the yeasts parameters. Giving such bad advice is horrible. IF I had a HBS that gave me that advice, and I found out how bad it was, I would stop going there. Unless the owner took care of things.

I'm sure HAD you been told that the yeast would go to ~18%, you probably would have selected another... For one thing D47 goes to ~14%... Keep in mind, the yeast can hit it's actual max a little lower, or higher, than the published amounts. But not by ~4%, maybe 1-2% variance (max)... If you ferment a bit warmer (within it's temperature range) then you could push it higher. Cooler and you could hit a lower level. BUT, I would not suggest doing that (lower that is) unless you plan to either filter the mead, or stabilize it. Especially if you plan to back sweeten it at all.

BTW, if you like the honey, and you like alcohol, there's a 99% chance you'll like the mead. I wouldn't make mead with honey that I didn't like the flavor of.
It's posted on there website (homebrew.ie) I'm gonna have 2 say it 2 them as I'm really p**t of ad I new I was a bit off with the sg bt I'm a mile away if that goes 2 18%.ad there the cheapest here and at the moment money is tight I really have 2 use them.

Yeh I like the honey nd really like alcohol so I'm hopful.

Your advise is really helpfull tanx
What's the world coming to if I can't get advise off a home brew store about there products

Quick Reply