Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead newbie question: how to make a bottle conditioned, sweet, sparkling mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #31
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The fur is flying here, and it seems to be a battle between those who have had bottle bombs, and those who will.
Just hitting a nicely carbonated dry mead in bottles is difficult, doing a sweet carbonated mead in bottles is risky at it's best without unfermentable sweeteners which taste bad in my oh so not humble opinion.
It's an art, it's a science, I just say if you want to attempt it, use SS kegs or PET bottles. Let's be safe out there brewers.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
The fur is flying here, and it seems to be a battle between those who have had bottle bombs, and those who will.
Just hitting a nicely carbonated dry mead in bottles is difficult, doing a sweet carbonated mead in bottles is risky at it's best without unfermentable sweeteners which taste bad in my oh so not humble opinion.
It's an art, it's a science, I just say if you want to attempt it, use SS kegs or PET bottles. Let's be safe out there brewers.
Truer words were never spoken (or typed). Play safely, folks. If you really must prove to yourself that you have an innate ability to predict exactly when your yeast will give up the ghost, then humor us and place those bottles in a rugged, closed container, at the very least.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #33
pimento
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sorry to dredge this thread back up, but is it possible to make a sweet or semi-sweet bottle carbonated braggot?

From what I understand Malt contains some percentage of unfermentable sugars, I just don't know how much sweetness would be left behind with LME or DME.

Anyone have experience with this?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #34
Yan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
sorry to dredge this thread back up, but is it possible to make a sweet or semi-sweet bottle carbonated braggot?

From what I understand Malt contains some percentage of unfermentable sugars, I just don't know how much sweetness would be left behind with LME or DME.

Anyone have experience with this?
You can use a lot of crystal malt. Crystal malt has a good amount of unfermentable sugar in it, due to the unique process of wet roasting it goes through.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #35
Brewster2256
Recipes 

Hypothetically, couldn't you cap a still fermenting mead at the desired point of sweetness, set aside a few low-volume test bottles, and open one every 3-4 days to test for carbonation. Once the desired level of carbonation is reached, cool the entire batch at near-freezing temperatures for several months until all remaining yeasts has died. Of course, this begs the question of the amount of time it would take the yeast to die at near freezing temperatures.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #36
pimento
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This will only work if you keep the bottles cold right up until you drink them.

Cold, even down to freezing won't kill the yeasts, just cause them to flocculate and go into hibernation. If the bottles warm up again there's no guarantee the yeast won't wake up and start eating again.

People who do this usually use a plastic test bottle, once it's firm enough they throw the whole batch into a spare fridge and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2256 View Post
Hypothetically, couldn't you cap a still fermenting mead at the desired point of sweetness, set aside a few low-volume test bottles, and open one every 3-4 days to test for carbonation. Once the desired level of carbonation is reached, cool the entire batch at near-freezing temperatures for several months until all remaining yeasts has died. Of course, this begs the question of the amount of time it would take the yeast to die at near freezing temperatures.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #37
1Brotherbill
Recipes 

Ok I know not a mead but there might be a point here. When I was a kid my parents made rootbeer every summer. Now what they did was mix sugar extract and yeast with about five gallons of water. I think it was ten pounds of sugar. I can't be sure because it was years ago. Then we just bottled it in glass bear bottles and put it in the basement in my bedroom. The room was cool but not that much. We would go get bottles and put them in the fridge all summer long. Once in awhile we would find a bottle that had broken open inside the case. But no flying shards of glass everyone talks about.

I'm not giving advice I'm just saying that the exploding end of the world bottle scenerio isn't all that much of a threat. Of course I wouldn't do that today. Because I have a feeling I might have used up my luck in the past with this.

Kind of makes me wonder what ABV this rootbeer had? There was a serious yeast cake in every bottle when we were done.

Quick Reply