Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead with lambic yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
ericd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mead with lambic yeast?

Would it work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Never made a lambic, but I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm not sure lambic strains can tolerate higher ABV %, but you can always downscale the honey to match the potential attenuation.

never tasted a lambic...they sound interesting. not sure how it'd work with mead.

if you've tasted some true lambics, and some real mead (none of that commercial crap) then you probably could theorize better than me.

if you do brew it, definitely post your results once its aged.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think one can get it to work, but there are many obstacles and the outcome might not be what you would expect. First of all, meads are usually high gravity; this is problematic because the lactobacillus and pediococcus cannot survive in high alcohol. Secondly, lambics need lots of nutrients and starches to sustain a +6 month long fermentation, mead might not be able to provide the nutrients, complex sugars and starch to get the bacteria going. Honey can barely provide a good environment for wine yeast; you would have to go through a lot to get it to sustain a lambic fermentation.
Personally, if I wanted a "funky" mead, I would rather blend some lambic with mead (which is great cause lambic is traditionally still), rather than make a lambic mead.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Steiner
Recipes 

I got a recipe book for Christmas: Homebrew Favorites by Karl Lutzen and Mark Stevens (p.220) that relies on airborne yeasts for a mead. After boil, you let the wort cool for 24 hours. From there, you bottle directly into plastic screw top bottles and release C02 pressure by slightly uncapping daily. Sounds kinda nuts, but these guys did it. I know that's probably not what you had in mind, but it's an interesting idea.

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
I think one can get it to work, but there are many obstacles and the outcome might not be what you would expect. First of all, meads are usually high gravity; this is problematic because the lactobacillus and pediococcus cannot survive in high alcohol. Secondly, lambics need lots of nutrients and starches to sustain a +6 month long fermentation, mead might not be able to provide the nutrients, complex sugars and starch to get the bacteria going. Honey can barely provide a good environment for wine yeast; you would have to go through a lot to get it to sustain a lambic fermentation.
Personally, if I wanted a "funky" mead, I would rather blend some lambic with mead (which is great cause lambic is traditionally still), rather than make a lambic mead.
you obviously know way more about lambics than me

in the spirit of helping the OP succeed, how about a braggot? its technically still a mead, but perhaps the malt will provide enough nutrients?

looking at Wyeast's specs on lacto and pedioccus, 9-12% is the max ABV, so maybe a slightly sweet braggot with the lambic sourness/acidity to balance that sweetness?
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
in the spirit of helping the OP succeed, how about a braggot? its technically still a mead, but perhaps the malt will provide enough nutrients?
That's exactly why I would suggest making a lambic and making a mead, then blending the two. You can make the mead as "funky" as you want through blending. It would definitely be interesting; the only problem is it will take a long time for the lambic to be "done."

Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #7
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I wouldn't make a mead and pitch a lambic strain. As Iordz points out, honey has basically no nutrients for the yeast; you will need to pitch yeast nutrient. Also, I'm not sure what 3278 is alcohol tolerant to (want to say around 8%), but that would make a pretty weak mead. Mead also really doesn't have much body. A braggot would have the necessary nutrients to sustain the yeast in a long fermentation. I would be leary of creating such a high gravity brew and bottling/releasing gas within 1 day. I personally wouldn't do it. Make the braggot (about a 60/40 blend of honey/malt) and pitch 3278. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Was this ever actually done?

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooomanycolors View Post
Was this ever actually done?
You are the MAN! I know you guys will be successful, and I know it's going to be good. Just tasting a Lambic, and thinking mead...you gotta know you're onto something....just don't forget to carb it.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyway I think this is gonna happen with the same recipe as the trappist braggot except the hops have been chopped from each, I dont want to risk skunking anything.

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Quick Reply