The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead and headaches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Mead and headaches

I made my first mead last November. It is a Persimmon Mead that I am happy to say won 1st place at my county fair. The problem is that despite it tasting great it gives me an awful headache. I used some crushed Campden tabs in the fruit and am wondering if this is the cause. I never have had a problem with sulfites in the past, at least not in wine. Any problem with not using sulfites(Campden) in my next batch of Persimmon mead this fall?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Fusel alcohols would be my guess. What temp did you ferment at, and did you use nutrients?

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

It probably isn't the sulfites. They generally don't cause headaches. For people who are sensitive to them (a very,very tiny minority) it tends to cause asthma and respiratory issues.

If you oaked it, the compounds from oak may be a factor.

As ArcaneXor points out, the biggest cause for Meadaches is probably fusel alcohols from suboptimal fermentation.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I don't have my notes in front of me but....I think I fermented in the high 60's. I only used nutrients when I pitched the yeast(D47). Literally 6oz. will give me a wicked, headache. I always thought fusel alcohols would give it a "hotness" taste/aroma. I forgot the dosage rate I used for the Campden tabs for the fruit.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My wife is allergic to sulfa. Whenever she has wine with high levels of sulfites, she has a bad headache the next morning, even if only 1 glass. Could be similar

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I ferment my meads at low temperature for the yeast, don't treat them, and I still get headaches if I over indulge. For me I think it is the sugar rush, with the higher ABV, and I don't drink enough water to hydrate. = Typical dehydration hangover.
Maybe it's just me.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I don't have my notes in front of me but....I think I fermented in the high 60's. I only used nutrients when I pitched the yeast(D47). Literally 6oz. will give me a wicked, headache. I always thought fusel alcohols would give it a "hotness" taste/aroma. I forgot the dosage rate I used for the Campden tabs for the fruit.
Many posts by Medsen Fey allude to D47 being a bugger for making fusels, especially at higher temperatures.....

Perhaps then mix is one that is telling you to drink it by the glass only......

Myself, I prefer K1V-1116, because it's got a wide temperature range - but as far as I'm aware, it's not known for producing fusels. Higher alcohol levels that give the "alcohol hot" taste but that usually ages out nicely.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply