Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > mead exposure to air

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
mattne421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default mead exposure to air

i made a gallon of key lime mint mead the other day and unfortuantely when i went to check on it today it seems a piece of mint clogged up my air lock. it seems to me that it caused too much back pressure and blew off the bung. i just noticed it today and cleaned out the air lock and replaced it but i was wondering how the exposure to air for up to two days would effect the mead itself. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
ExoticMeadMaker
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

it wont hurt a thing, some air in during the first few days is actually a good thing as it helps yeast reproduce.

does anyone else find themselves sitting, starring at their mead in process?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

From memory, pure CO2 is heavier than air. Which means that once the back pressure blew the airlock out, the ferment would have continued to produce CO2 and kept any air/oxygen away from the brew.

So I suspect that no harm is done.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
tweake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

as above.
just to add that the danger time is when fermentation has finished. but that also means the airlock won't get blown off either.
all of mine are brewed in open top buckets. only goes into carboy and under airlock when ferment is 90% complete.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I had a mead sit for up to a week without the airlock on it, at most. I left for vacation and a fishing rod (hung from my basement ceiling) fell on the carboy, knocking the airlock off. I don't know when it happened in that week, but I'd be willing to bet it sat at least 3 days without an airlock on it. Turned out great.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I usually ferment without a sealed container. During fermentation, a little air won't be a problem.

Quick Reply