the apples turned brown way before i added the mead. i put them in the blender after i had cored, peeled and pasturised them.
i'm trying to stay away from acids of any kind in the mead as i do not like the acid burn from most wines and some commercial meads. i didn't take any gravity readings, i don't take many when i'm making beer either. sure it would help me figure out my ABV and also my eff. when brewing but hey, i mash, i boil, i make beer!!! lol
when i took the lid off the fermenter after a week, there was still plenty of activity going on with the yeast which is what i wanted. i wanted to make sure i got the mead on the apple puree while still in a very active stage of fermentation. the apples i used were just a hair tart so i'm hoping that making a sweet mead and putting those apples in there it will turn out nice with just a little tartness.
as of right now i don't have enough carboys to put it all in there, right now with the apples it is in a 10 gallon plastic fermenter. it has a loose fitting lid instead of an airlock. once its been on the apples for a bit i'm going to put it in whatever carboys i have open and maybe a few 1/2 gallon jugs i have. i'm wanting this to sit for about 6 months or more before i keg or bottle it.
i'm sure i'm doing alot of stuff wrong, but hey, thats what a first batch is for, to learn what not to do and get your process down.
thanks for the input so far.