I just came into ownership of 20 pounds of wildflower honey. I also have two more gallons coming next weekend. I am going to be a mead making fool for the forseeable future.
A couple questions come to mind:
- How long can I store the unused honey?
- My recipe for the first batch is :
5 gallon batch
- 15 pounds of wildflower honey
- Water to 5 gallons
- 5 grams yeast nutrient at pitching (not sure if this is enough)
- oxygenate when pitching yeast
- 2 packet of rehydrated red star cote de blanc
- Ferment at about 70 degrees F
- 5 grams yeast energizer at about the 1/3 gravity point
- when ready to bottle sulphite, sorbate and backsweeten if needed
Follow on recipes will be figured out as I get ready to do them. Any thoughts or comments on this?