Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Martinelli's Apple Mead??? Request for Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
voterrwest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Martinelli's Apple Mead??? Request for Advice

Hello,

I recently (3 weeks ago) put some Red Star Cote des Blancs dry wine yeast in a 1.5L glass bottle of Martinelli's Apple Cider, threw an airlock on it, and let it ferment. I also threw in some dry roasted pecans, after crushing them and checking for oil with a paper towel. No sugar was added. Just cider and yeast.

When the fermentation was done, I poured out a shot of it, filtered the rest, and wax sealed it in another bottle. I used a siphon, so aeration shouldn't be a problem, and the cider should still be clean.

It's been sitting for two weeks now, and after considering the taste of the shot I poured out, I want something stronger. I was wondering if it is possible to take my fermented cider, throw it in a one gallon bottle with a pound, pound and a half of honey, and let that ferment for however long it takes.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Can I even ferment something like this? (One complete ferment as the base for a second fermentation)

2.) Do I have to use the same yeast? Any suggested strains available at my local HBS?

3.) What's a good amount of honey / water / ??? to add to 1.5L of cider to make a one gallon jug of Apple Cider Mead?

Thanks for the help, providing there is any, and if not, thanks for reading this far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

An Apple Cider Mead, or 'Cyser', is exactly what I do for my Holidays Spiced Cyser using using 4 gallons ( or enough for a total volume of 5 finished gallons) of Martinelli's and then honey to the O. G. that I want. I haven't tasted this batch yet, too young, but I can tell you it smells Wonderful!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
ChaosBrewing
Recipes 

DO IT!! I made a batch of Joe's Ancient Mead but instead of spring water I used Indian Summer Apple juice. It is one of the best things I have ever made!!! I am going to make a 5 gallon batch as soon as I move out of my apt. next month. It had a very high S.G. and came out a little sweet but it is 15.5 abv.

Quick Reply