Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mango/Pineapple Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
DrVertebrae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Mango/Pineapple Mead

Before I spin my wheels, has anyone ever made pineapple mead, or mango mead or a combination of the two?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have heard that there is an enzyme in pineapple that makes fermenting it problematic. However that is second or third hand information that I never really followed up on personally.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think you are thinking about papain (sp), and enzyme found in meat tenderizer and I think its found in papaya but thanks for the heads up. I'll need to check into that.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm making a piña colada melomel currently. I used shredded coconut, some vanilla beans, a mix of leftover honeys, as well as pineapple juice for all the liquid. It fermented just fine but tastes pretty funky right now. Perhaps that will improve with time/ backsweetening

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm gonna give it a try I guess. I have chopped pineapple and mango frozen now. When the time comes I'll get it out and crush it up a bit and throw it in with the hot honey for a few minutes prior to cooling it down and pitching the yeast. Any suggestions as to any additional spices that might accentuate the flavor of the mangos and pineapple?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I have made mango mead before and it turned out really well. Some vanilla really helps bring out the flavors. I would also make sure you have some pineapple and mango left over for adding to secondary, the aromas for these fruits are both rather delicate and can be easily lost during fermentation. Aging will help bring them back but if you are going to have some residual sweetness anyway adding the fruit to secondary will put a lot of those flavors back in and possibly reduce the aging time.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
I have made mango mead before and it turned out really well. Some vanilla really helps bring out the flavors. I would also make sure you have some pineapple and mango left over for adding to secondary, the aromas for these fruits are both rather delicate and can be easily lost during fermentation. Aging will help bring them back but if you are going to have some residual sweetness anyway adding the fruit to secondary will put a lot of those flavors back in and possibly reduce the aging time.
Out of curiosity, what was your vanilla to mango ratio?
Regards, GF.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
PaddyMurphy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'm making mango mead right now. One thing to keep in mind, mangoes have a decent amount of sugar. If you're doing your primary fermentation in a carboy, that means you'll need to leave quite a bit of head space or you'll be cleaning it off the ceiling. If you're using a brew bucket, you should be fine.

Atek, how did you add your mangoes in the secondary? In chunks in a brewing bag seems to work, but I'm also considering running them through a blender and foregoing the bag.

Ridding the world of the scourge of alcohol. One glass at a time
Primary - Cranberry wine, Pomegranate Raspberry wine
Secondary - Nothing to see here. Move along.
Bottled - EdWort's Apfelwein, Cyser, Paddy Murphy's Pumpkin Mead, Côte des Bochet, EC-1118 Bochet, MAOM, Mango Melomel, Singles Awareness Day (SAD) Strawberry Melomel

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

@Gratus
Here was my recipe, it was one of my first self designed and could certainly have been done better but in all honesty in came out surprisingly well.
4 Mangos frozen then chopped
4.5lb silver bo clover honey
water to 1 gal

I skinned and sliced the mango and placed in the carboy, the mango not the skins. Dissolved 4.5 lb of honey in 2qt water and added to the carboy, topped up with water and pitched EC-1118. Racked off the fruit 12 days later. Fermentation finished two months later and I added 1/2 vanilla bean split. Bottled 10 days later. It was tart, sweet, mangoey with a nice vanilla touch that smoothed it out a ton.

Issues with this recipe?
1. too much mango, should have broken it up and used half in secondary (will get to that more later).
2. WAY too much honey, EC-1118 did its job and cut it down a lot. I did not take an OG but according to the mead calc 4.5lb honey in 3qts water comes out to 1.215. I did take a reading after racking and before and after topping off. After racking the gravity was 1.010 so EC-1118 had a wonderful feast. After topping off it leveled at 1.000

I made another batch recently. I made a sweet show mead and split it into 5 gallons after fermentation completed. Then added 2 mangos chopped and left until the fruit was more white than yellow. This actually turned out more mellow but still mangoey. I miss the tartness that I had with the other one and it could simple be due to the time of year the mangos were purchased. I also did not add vanilla to this second one and it would have accentuated the Mango flavor very nicely.

@PaddyMurphy
you can do chunks in a brewing bag, pulverized in a blender, etc. It really doesn't matter too much. The biggest difference is going to be cleanup and clearing. I would think pulverized would make it cloudy and require more rackings to finally clear. I simply cut them into chunks and toss then in the carboy, no bag required. I give the carboy a gentle swirl at least once a day to keep the floating fruit from drying out or molding.

So to wrap this up here I would now make my recipe as follows:
2 mangos frozen then chopped Primary
2 mangos frozen then chopped Secondary
1/2 split vanilla bean Secondary
2.5-3lb honey
K1V-1116

I would also make sure you follow the SNA guidelines which I did not know existed when making my first mango batch. I will say the yeasties do seem to like mango.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Thanks, I might have to give this a shot.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply