Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Making mead like a Winemaker vs Beer Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I thought that would happen to all those people making skeeter pee where they add concentrated lemon juice right ontop of the leftover yeast from making a batch of wine but they get theirs to fement just fine. That big dip in pH is not going to hurt your yeasts in a mead, when you dilute the honey you dilute its small amount of acids and dilute out pH so there is not enough acid to provide a healthy enviornment for the yeast, that is much more important than worrying if the pH will drop to much, since at the start without any added acid your pH is very high, high enough that other contaminating microbes could grow. I keep wondering why traditional mead makers say their meads take years to age out to be drinkable. I keep wondering if its the initial enviornment lacking such basics as a proper acid level and nutrients.

WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth8530 View Post
Actually one of the reasons why acid blend is not added up front to a mead is because during fermentation the PH can take a wild swing downward thus stalling out the yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hi Fatbloke, how is your banner mead coming along, I started one recently, did a big boil of all the bananas and skins, cooled, hit them with some anylase to break down more of the starch into sugars and its very nice golden color right now. WVMJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply