Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Making a great mead with clover honey - opinions/recipes needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Making a great mead with clover honey - opinions/recipes needed

I think we can all agree that clover honey by itself does not make the tastiest mead. Unfortunately, it seems to the be the honey most often found at your local grocer that doesn't cost a fortune. What are some of your favorite blended honey or metheglin mead recipes that utilize this readily-available honey to make something that shines?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
DragonTail

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Vanilla Metheglyn is a good one, just add 1 split vanilla bean to the primary and leave it in there till you bottle.

Michael Herrenbruck
Herrenbruck Brewery
L.C.Q. Racing

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used all clover mead to make Carmel Apple Mead. I really didn't like the smell of the must, but the end fermented product was excellent. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/cara...le-mead-68519/

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

IMO there's little point using a quality varietal honey if you're using a recipe with fruit/spices/herbs etc as they will virtually always mask the subtle tastes that you get from varietal honey traditional meads.

so if it's gonna be flavoured with whatever, then there's no reason not to use the cheap store bought/supermarket blended honey........ though I'd still stay away from blended honey from Australia as it often contains Eucalyptus honey which can give a "cough medicine" type after taste....... Varietal honey from Australia is fine (even Eucalyptus honey, if that's the flavour you're after)

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
IMO there's little point using a quality varietal honey if you're using a recipe with fruit/spices/herbs etc as they will virtually always mask the subtle tastes that you get from varietal honey traditional meads.
+1. I'm with fatbloke on this one, save your pricey varietals for show meads. I'll use clover or alfafa for melomels, but I've given up on "wildflower" honey; it might be good in some areas, but here the wildflower honey just doesn't make good mead & I won't use it. Regards, GF.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I completely agree fatbloke, which is why I'm asking about *tasty* recipes which use clover honey; spiced or blended with with a varietal.

Quick Reply