Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Low Starting Gravity "Light" Mead/Nectar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
BrewFrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Low Starting Gravity "Light" Mead/Nectar

I was wanting to get thoughts about doing a mead with just about 6-7 lbs. of honey in a 5 gallon batch. Maybe adding in some herbs or a small amount of hops boiled for just 5 minutes or steeped in boiling water and added to the must. I have seen somewhere on here that a drink like this is called a nectar, a small mead with a beer type abv and highly carbed.

6.5 lbs. Wildflower Honey
Herb of some type steeped for flavor
Ale Yeast
Water to get to 5 gallons

Anyone ever had or done anything like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sometimes use 1 gal (12 lbs) of honey for 2 meads. You should also add about 1 lb of corn sugar to the must because (why exactly, I actually forget at the moment) the mixed sugars versus straight honey is easier to ferment.

They come out very light and easy to drink.

I recommend the Barkshack Ginger Mead recipe in Papa Z's TCJOHB. If you like ginger (no fruit) that is.

If you use a champagne yeast it will ferment out dry.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply and info on the corn sugar. That sounds about like what I am going for with the 7 total lbs. of fermentables. I have two gallons of wildflower honey left after about three one gallon wine jug experiments. I will probably try one half a gallon with an herb recipe and one half with a fruit, most likely cherries. I will not be using a champagne or any wine yeast as that will take all this sugar and not leave anything sweet left, hell I am not sure that this amount would not end up dry with just Nottingham or S-05.

Quick Reply