Originally Posted by LightningInABottle
Hey KC, did that 20lbs ferment out completely in 2 weeks? Also did the mead clear completely?
I did almost the same recipe last fall and the mead is not completely cleared yet. I thought it was due to the concentrate, but I used a different concentrate. It tastes amazing now but I want to wait longer for it to clear completely before I bottle.
I also used med toast french oak cubes for 3 gallons of it and that is even better.
It did - I think it took about 11-12 days for fermentation to finish, but I don't know what the FG was.... I can't remember if we took a reading or not, and if we did, we didn't write it down... And yes, it did clear pretty well on its own. We did end up adding some SuperKleer just to make it, well, super clear.
The oak cubes is an interesting idea; we found that the blueberry concentrate we bought had a TON of tannins in it, so we didn't need to add any tannins for balance... but I definitely think that if we had just used blueberries, additional tannin would have been warranted.