Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Long-Term Mead Storage and Aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Vermicous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I talked to my friend in the wine industry about cellaring. He said that with corks, plan on 1 in 8 failure. That's with proper humidity and temp, 80% humidity and 50-60 degrees stable temperature. Because of this, some wine-makers who are making wine that is meant to be drunk young are switching to bottlecaps. Young wine doesn't need the air exchange other wines need, so they skip all the necessary conditions that corks need to prevent failure.

That being the case, I plan on on fermenting for about 3 months and then transferring to cornies for about 2 years. At this point I will bottle in 33 oz Pelligrino bottles, I've used them before and they will take a normal bottlecap. Since humidity won't be necessary, I am going to build a temp controled box, similiar to Son of a Fermentation Chiller. Unless I eventually build a root cellar, that is another dream of mine.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicous
I talked to my friend in the wine industry about cellaring. He said that with corks, plan on 1 in 8 failure. That's with proper humidity and temp, 80% humidity and 50-60 degrees stable temperature. Because of this, some wine-makers who are making wine that is meant to be drunk young are switching to bottlecaps. Young wine doesn't need the air exchange other wines need, so they skip all the necessary conditions that corks need to prevent failure.

That being the case, I plan on on fermenting for about 3 months and then transferring to cornies for about 2 years. At this point I will bottle in 33 oz Pelligrino bottles, I've used them before and they will take a normal bottlecap. Since humidity won't be necessary, I am going to build a temp controled box, similiar to Son of a Fermentation Chiller. Unless I eventually build a root cellar, that is another dream of mine.
Just get some liquid latex like a Maker's Mark bottle and your seal will stay pretty darn air-tight.

Alternatively, you could consider getting an oak barrel and aging it in the barrel.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

If you don't do bottlecaps, are you "safer" using synthetic corks (with or without a wax or latex sealer)?

EDIT: Oops, this is in the recipe database, isn't it? Vermicious, you want me to move all of this conversation to a separate thread?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Synthetic corks are better, but my friend was positive that bottlecaps were best for long-term bottling of beer and wine. We didn't discuss wax-sealing. Wax would make sense, I think that most of the intact bottles that have been recovered from shipwrecks and lost collections were sealed in wax.

For a high-gravity mead, an oak barrel would do some interesting things. Now I wonder if I could get some scotch-like overtones. Dammit, won't do it for this project, but now I have to find a barrel.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #15
cyborgantor
Recipes 

Default mead aging

Well aging improves the flavor as we all know. I had some just capped in the basement that is 7 years old and it is great. some slug on the bottom. Remember that honey itself can keep for 25 years, so I would not get too crazy about corks and other stuff. Just keep it cool and out of light. I buried a bottle in the extreme wilderness of NC Pennsylvania and plan to dig it up in about twenty years. New meaning to geo caching.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the intent of the OP was that they made the mead when their child was born and wanted to share it with them when they turned 21.

FWIW, I have a bottle or two of mead I made 14 years ago...they'll probably get popped next summer when I retire.

Right now I have about 6 batches of mead that I hope someone will enjoy for years after I'm gone...

Quick Reply