Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Long Term Aging & Bottle-Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
DaveVanO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Long Term Aging & Bottle-Questions

When long term again, is it best to just leave in a secondary/third. Or bottle and close it. Also plan on carbonating some of the meads/ciders I make.
Just looking for suggestions on what people think. Would it be better to leave in a secondary or toss into bottles. If you feel that putting them into bottles is better for long term aging. How long should I leave my mead or cider in the secondary to make sure all is done before bottling.

Just some background: I plan on making JAOM (but should I use bread yeast or a montrachet? Suggestions?) Also plan on making some EdWorts Apfelwein once my Mr Beer keg is done fermenting and in bottles.
Would these be fine carbonated, and which is the best things to use to carbonate the beverages without kegging.
AND

Would old liquor bottles, such as 750ml bottles and 1.75L bottles work to bottle ciders and meads in? Of course sanitizing etc. But would I be able to carbonate them in the bottles, or should i find other bottles.

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps. I am a newer brewer and new to mead/cider making, trying to get it all planned out before I get fully into it.

And: Anyone have simple meads that they would like to share? Just looking for simple meads to get started, or even wine/cider recipes that some have found great tasting. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

How long is long term?

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
How long is long term?
I plan on aging anywhere from 3-6 months. Possibly longer, but they will be 1 gallon batches. So I dont know once I try it and let people sample, if Ill have a lot left. If I could let it go longer than 6 months, than I will.
(I know some might not say its that long, but to a new brewer, months is a lot)

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm fairly new to mead making (first batches are just finishing up for drinking), but I would guess most on here would say to keep aging much longer. Minimum of a year for low abv and upward of a couple years for high abv.

bulk helps to keep a uniform flavor to the batch if you do not have a tightly controlled place to store the bottles.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessPurple View Post
I'm fairly new to mead making (first batches are just finishing up for drinking), but I would guess most on here would say to keep aging much longer. Minimum of a year for low abv and upward of a couple years for high abv.

bulk helps to keep a uniform flavor to the batch if you do not have a tightly controlled place to store the bottles.
Yea i get that, Im really looking for the answers to my above questions. I plan on aging for longer, but i dont want to waste time and age a mead that I wont like myself. plan on experimenting and taste testing before bottling and making another batch of it.

Also trying to figure out which yeast I should use to make the JAOM or should I just make the MAOM instead

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
mooney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did the same bottled my first mead after 3 months and drank most of it. Was very drinkable from the point of view of some one who had never tyred mead so my second batch got longer in bulk but needed bottling for Christmas. Still have 4 bottles aging on from each batch i'm doing. Every one will say the longer in secondary the Better but if your liver needs punishing then some times we are forced to bottle. Just save some to see what it could have been.

Don't think spirit bottles would take the pressure of carbonation, if I were you and wanted to carbonate I would be drinking grolsh rite now, or some expensive Belgian beers with flip top bottles to reuse. And you will be Better making a lower alcohol mead and priming the bottles like beer. Looking at forced carbonation I would get the taste and technique of your flat mead making down before going out and buying all that kit/way to much effort.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I'be heard multiple times that the JAOM is fantastic just the way it is, but terrible if you use wine yeast. I have a batch going right now that smells amazing.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Did the same bottled my first mead after 3 months and drank most of it. Was very drinkable from the point of view of some one who had never tyred mead so my second batch got longer in bulk but needed bottling for Christmas. Still have 4 bottles aging on from each batch i'm doing. Every one will say the longer in secondary the Better but if your liver needs punishing then some times we are forced to bottle. Just save some to see what it could have been.

Don't think spirit bottles would take the pressure of carbonation, if I were you and wanted to carbonate I would be drinking grolsh rite now, or some expensive Belgian beers with flip top bottles to reuse. And you will be Better making a lower alcohol mead and priming the bottles like beer. Looking at forced carbonation I would get the taste and technique of your flat mead making down before going out and buying all that kit/way to much effort.
So bottling to age is better than just leaving it in a secondary to age? that is one of the main things to figure out. I have fifths and half gal bottles from liquor. I guess those wouldnt matter to bottle in, but most likely not to carbonate in. Not looking for any explosive bottles.

So you let it ferment and secondary for a total of 3 months then bottled? And carbonation wise. Dont some people just prime it with sugar and bottle it?
I dont want to go out and buy kegging kits etc until I am way far along, have meads being made every week and have some extra cash at my side to purchase this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespark View Post
I'be heard multiple times that the JAOM is fantastic just the way it is, but terrible if you use wine yeast. I have a batch going right now that smells amazing.
Yea ive heard the same. Although some say it has a bad taste. But i guess the only way to find out is to do it myself. Thanks for the input

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
mooney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Naw bulk age in the Demi John is better, every one on here Will tell you. I just aged in bottles because I could not wait. its more consistent in bulk and you can sill play with it. I have never carbonated mead, only ever beer and cider, but it lookes hard to carbonate any mead and keep residual sweetness as all the sugar in honey is fermentable.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Naw bulk age in the Demi John is better, every one on here Will tell you. I just aged in bottles because I could not wait. its more consistent in bulk and you can sill play with it. I have never carbonated mead, only ever beer and cider, but it lookes hard to carbonate any mead and keep residual sweetness as all the sugar in honey is fermentable.
ah ok cool. Ive been reading up on all of this before i even get going, so just making sure. What do you use to carbonate the cider? I am going to make apfelwein once my beer is out of my Mr Beer keg (heard it works well from some people)

Quick Reply