Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A little help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default A little help please

Making my 2nd Mead after over 15 years and there are some products available now that wasn't previlent 15 years ago. I aquired 15 lbs of fresh local honey and have decided this time NOT to boil the mead based on what I have read here. My questions are the adjuncts - I purchased a Fruit Mead Additive Pack, Mead Claifier, and Mead Stabilizer from AHS. I "assume" I add the clarifier and stabilizer pretty much before bottling, but would like clarification on this assumption.

Also - my plan was to just add the Fruit Mead Additive Pack (which has Fermax Yeast Nutrient, Acid blend and some wine tanning and pectic blend) right before dumping the must into the fermentor - but after further research it appears you want to add yeast nutrients in stages to the must. Would it work to put say half of this additive pack at the beginning, then the other half after a few days of fermentation?

Jeeze - I get the feeling I am over-thinking things. Just hate to find out 6 months later I "should have" done things differently.

Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
mummasan
Recipes 

Your ingredients are 15lbs honey and fruit. What kind of fruit and how much. What yeast will you use?

Don't boil the honey, when you are ready just mix it with water.

The yeast nutrient goes in at the beginning, the clarifier only if needed and the stabilizer is used at the end just before bottling.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummasan View Post
Your ingredients are 15lbs honey and fruit. What kind of fruit and how much. What yeast will you use?

Don't boil the honey, when you are ready just mix it with water.

The yeast nutrient goes in at the beginning, the clarifier only if needed and the stabilizer is used at the end just before bottling.
My initial recipe is:

15 lbs honey
4 gallons Spring Water
2 pkg Lavin K1V-116 yeast
1 pkg Fruit Mead Additive pack

Thats pretty much it. Wasn't planning on adding actual fruit this time. Last time I put 3 lbs of frozen mixed berries (crushed) and it turned out fine. This time I wanted a good clean simple honey mead. May break 1 gallon off into a seperate glass fermentor as the wife wants me to try an apricot mead...

Oh, and I was initially planning on using the stabilizer, the clarifier came bundled together with it.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
mummasan
Recipes 

I hoped someone else would help out once you posted the recipe. I've only made one mead. I think the fruit mead additive pack is supposed to be used if you are making a mead with fruit in it. I think the pectic acid and tannin are supposed to be used after fermentation is done to alter the taste of the mead.

For a simple mead without fruit, follow the information in the sticky. There are Staggered Nutrient Additions that you should follow for the first three days of fermentation. It is supposed to be yeast energizer and DAP. With the dry yeast I used a yeast hydrating nutrient before I added it to the must.

Quick Reply