Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A little advice please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
A straight mead really doesn't foam up very much if at all. At least nothing like beer or a melomel. Forget about it for a long while...mead likes being abandoned.
-cheers
I wouldn't say that it likes being abandoned. It likes privacy and quiet to do it's best. It also encorages lazyness. Patients and lazyness are close enough together. If your impatient, brew beer or soda. Or make mixed drinks.

Don't forget that when fermentation is done, age it at least 6 months. You won't be disapointed. Better to age a year but with your first batch it is hard to wait. Beer doesn't need much aging but Mead, like wine does.

Matrix (Simple yet complicated)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
IanBiggins
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
I wouldn't say that it likes being abandoned. It likes privacy and quiet to do it's best. It also encorages lazyness. Patients and lazyness are close enough together. If your impatient, brew beer or soda. Or make mixed drinks.

Don't forget that when fermentation is done, age it at least 6 months. You won't be disapointed. Better to age a year but with your first batch it is hard to wait. Beer doesn't need much aging but Mead, like wine does.

Matrix (Simple yet complicated)
I'm doing my best just to be patient with it, I just want my first batch to turn out really well. By the way, in your opinions where's the best place to keep the mead as the yeast works it's magic? I have a "hot cupboard" where we dry clothes and such. Would that maybe be a good idea?

These may seem like really stupid questions and I apologise for it.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBiggins View Post
I'm doing my best just to be patient with it, I just want my first batch to turn out really well. By the way, in your opinions where's the best place to keep the mead as the yeast works it's magic? I have a "hot cupboard" where we dry clothes and such. Would that maybe be a good idea?
Aagh, no! Cooler is better...60-70*F (15-21*C, since I assume you're in Scotland?) or otherwise you're going to have a lot of fuesel alcohols that will give the mead a 'hot' or solvent-like character that can take forever to smooth/age out.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
IanBiggins
Recipes 

Right, message received there :P I'll keep it out of there.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep all of my projects in my room.. warmest up there right now

Oh, and keep it in the dark. I understand UV does funny things to yeast as well. I actually use a spring clip and an old towel so I don't have to hide it in my closet.

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 11-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
IanBiggins
Recipes 

I'm keeping mine in the kitchen at the moment. Also, all of the foam has really died down. I know this happens normally anyway but damn it gave me a scare at first.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

As far as temp is conserned, I agree that 60-70 degrees out of direct sunlight is best. But overall it depends on the yeast.

In the fall/winter I use Lavin D-47 a lot. It shouldn't go above 70 degrees F, this is because it does produce fusel alcohols, that HOT taste, or really alcoholy taste is the Fusels. Now my brew area in the fall and winter can go from 55-67. The low end doesn't bother me as when you get down to a certian point of temp the yeast settles into dormancy and settles in the bottom. A quick stir now and then in the primary fermentation is good. When it slows down let it settle and then rack. Now in the Summer, I use Lavin 71B, that has a temp tollerance of up to 83 degrees F or so. In the summer my brew area can go from 68-early 80s F. So I am better served by a yeast that can handle hotter temps. It will still produce some fusels but less so than D-47 would.

So to answer your question, No on very hot, check your yeast, cooler and dark or not in direct sun, better.

I think that you will do fine on your first batch, you are already asking the right questions and that is 1/2 of it. Instinct is another part. Another part is good guessing. But overall, Experimentation and Research are what you need that lead to Experience.

Enjoy the process, don't worry as much. Making good Mead is easy, Making Great Mead takes time, research, experimentation, and getting many judges to help you drink all the experiments and get their opinions.

Hope this helps.

Matrix

Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
IanBiggins
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the wise and kind words matrix! Glad I'm not just throwing out stupid questions here! I'm definitly interested in experimenting a little with yeast. Perhaps something with apples....We shall see next pay day!

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
Waldmeister
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The yeast like a little heat 15-23 Deg.

Quick Reply