The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Leap Year 2012?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
turtlescales
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

lawpaw, I think that is a great idea. Comparing notes and exchanging bottles sounds awesome. Of course, that would mean I'd have to put together more than just the single gallon I had planned on....

I've got a gallon of bochet going already, stuff is going to be great I am sure. I cooked mine up inside, and did it the same way I make caramels but with a much larger pot. I have an electric range, I cooked mine at medium heat and pulled up a barstool next to the oven and hung out for a couple hours stirring. Just have to watch it is all, I didn't have any problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hmmm, was concidering a Bochet anyway...

Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowow0708

chocolate bochet? how will you do that pray tell? will you add it while the honey is boiling or will you add it in the fermenter? what kind of chocolate? powder, bean or bar? milk or dark? eating or baking? what brand of chocolate?
No, I would add it in the secondary (after racking off gross lees).

I plan on using powder, many use beans or the wafers.

My plan is to Carmelize meadowfoam honey for 1 hour (not completely carmelize), ferment till the yeast poops out, cold crash to compact lees, rack onto chocolate powder, age for 6 months on chocolate and fine lees (swirling every week).

Age, age, age.

I think the marshmallowy flavor of the meadowfoam and chocolate will go well. Considering steeping .5 lbs of biscuit and .3 lbs Special B in the water used (prior to adding to honey), to make it a smoreish bochet. Age on some heavy toast oak?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ghirardelli dark chocolate powder. I guess I didn't answer what kind.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That Bochet recipe sounds amazing. I actually ended up borrowing a pot from a friend, I don't think she'll lend it to me again for more burned honey anytime soon. Cleaning it was a beast, and it took tiny bits of the finish off the bottom to get all the char off. Gonna be buying her lunch at work for awhile to assuage the guilt.

Found a bottle of Pear and Lavender Mead made by Rohan Meadery, will give that a go and see if I like the lavender. Otherwise, I think I am leaning more towards an acerglyn or a braggot for my own batch. To the people who chimed in on those options, any ideas for recipes?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
bryank
Recipes 

I'm liking the idea of that bochet, sounds very interesting. how crucial would the meadow foam be? I've got a lot of Michigan wildflower on hand.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #27
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not crucial for a bochet at all. I only chose meadowfoam because it is very marshmallowy when heated, so I thought it would go well with some chocolate.

Considering throwing in some buckwheat instead of steeped grains for a "malty" flavor. My buckwheat isn't very grainy tasting, but it is rich like molasses and that could be as good.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #28
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpaw View Post

Considering throwing in some buckwheat instead of steeped grains for a "malty" flavor. My buckwheat isn't very grainy tasting, but it is rich like molasses and that could be as good.
I am going to have to come up with something good, so I can convince you to do a trade with me 4 years from now... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

I cracked my bottle of Pear Lavender Mead, and this stuff is excellent. The lavender flavor is very subtle and rolls of your tongue and the pear adds light fruitiness, but doesn't overpower the honey. Of the meads I have tried, though as of yet all commercial, I think I like this one best. If I don't end up making Lavender Metheglin for Leap Day, it is definitely on the list. I wonder if a lavender braggot would be good, but I haven't tried braggot so am uncertain.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #29
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Not crucial for a bochet at all. I only chose meadowfoam because it is very marshmallowy when heated, so I thought it would go well with some chocolate.
Meadowfoam is one of my favorite honeys. I've used it with cocoa nibs and really liked the combination, but I'm not sure about using it in a Bochet. I haven't made one yet, but I wonder if you'd lose those wonderfully unique flavors after a couple hours of boiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescales View Post
I just made my first bochet about a week ago, the honey changed dramatically over the course of cooking. I cooked it for just over 2 hours on medium heat on my stove (3.5 pounds of clover honey) and the end result tasted nothing like the beginning.
BTW - I like the idea of a leap year bochet.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
A chocolate bochet would take years to mature.
This sounds very, very good...a regular cocoa mead will take at least 2 years to come into it's own (if not just to clarify and be ready for bottling...) and does usually require some residual sweetness to really get the cocoa to pop...and a bochet usually has some built-in residual sweetness which could render backsweetening unnecessary... I've been thinking about making another chocolate mead, and another bochet anyway...why not combine the ideas?!

Quote:
No, I would add it in the secondary (after racking off gross lees).

I plan on using powder, many use beans or the wafers.

My plan is to Carmelize meadowfoam honey for 1 hour (not completely carmelize), ferment till the yeast poops out, cold crash to compact lees, rack onto chocolate powder, age for 6 months on chocolate and fine lees (swirling every week).

Age, age, age.

I think the marshmallowy flavor of the meadowfoam and chocolate will go well. Considering steeping .5 lbs of biscuit and .3 lbs Special B in the water used (prior to adding to honey), to make it a smoreish bochet. Age on some heavy toast oak?
All respect to lawpaw...good luck getting cocoa powder to dissolve in room temp mead...better be prepared to stir for a while, and hopefully even have a drill-powered mixer/degassing wand. If that's the way you want to go, you're probably better off using cocoa nibs for that technique. When I've done cocoa mead in the past, I dissolve the powder in a warmed honey/water mix then add more water to bring up to volume.

Also, I think just about any honey is good for a bochet...I made mine using cheap clover honey from Sam's Club, and it came out awesome. I suppose if I had ready, inexpensive access to a varietal honey like meadowfoam, I'd try it, but if I'm getting enough meadowfoam honey to make a mead, I'm making a straight varietal mead!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply