lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pir4te...I do not know a thing about lagering. It is typically frowned upon, per forum rules, to respond such as you initially received--not that I am the forum police--just not the way this forum rolls. That is so NOT the normal here. Hopefully the link gives you some insight and I hope someone can respond to help you.

Welcome to the forum!

If I tried lagered mead btw I would prolly feel like it was a "mead cooler". Sorry about my shortening of words but I use these forums on my phone.

OP, are you referring about brewing a mead with a Lager Yeast, or to actually lagering the finished brew, or both? To me, Lagering simply = "keep it in the cold for several months to condition before drinking it." The former idea, to actually ferment mead with Saccharomyces uvarum / Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, is actually a pretty cool idea (no pun intended...), and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work... Of course, you'd have to have a way to control your fermentation temps, as lager yeast works much colder than ale/wine yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae.)

Unfortunately the above linked thread is dead, and looks like no one followed through with actually performing the experiment, or at least didn't post back any results...at least it does give some ideas regarding yeast choices, and it does point out also that you might be limited in your alcohol tolerance with most lager yeasts compared to ale/wine yeast... If I had way to control my temps better, I'd definitely consider trying this...

Thanks guys, I will probably start a lager batch here in a few months after I move. I will probably start with a small one to two gallon batch.

Edit: I was referring to both the yeast and the actual lager method of brewing.

Back