Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Kumquats!!! making my first mead with em'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks, I have a few bottles of Apfelwein and "brain dead" ciders also. Matter of fact I got strong cider on tap right now and time for a refill. (working nights now so drinking at 8 AM is kind of new to me.)
I don't get to Maui often, I grew up the only blonde, blue eyed kid on the west side of Kauai, so if I'm island hopping it is back there to see family.
Smithy is good guy, his only problem is still getting hops in quantities needed, so he is still restricting their selling only when someone buys supplies for a full batch. IE, extract or grains.
He has a good supply of white labs yeast, and he just got some safale (sp?) in. I got to try those.
Best of luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

racked this to secondary this evening.
the EC-1118 went like hell as usual - the mead had started to clear quite a bit, so I racked to secondary to get it off the fruit I took the opertunity to sample about 2 ounces. For a young (and far from finished) product - it's pretty dang tasty as is - needs a bit of time to mellow the citrus bite of the Kumquats, and the heat from the alchohol (it's up there) surprised at how much residual sweetness was left behind by the EC-1118 it's still pretty dry, but not as dry as apple beverages I've made with it.

so mead misters - what do you do to take up headspace in a mead after racking? (I lost I would guess a pint and a half)

it's not urgent as i put in a Co2 blanket into the bottle prior to racking and again after - but I don't like the headspace I've got.

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Water, must, a "similar" wine (hard for this one), or if its only a pint, you could use sanitize marbles since the glass is inert.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

update:

it's looking good and clearing nicely

still a long way from bottling day on this... Think I'll do a couple carbed 750 mls
and a couple still 750 mls

anyone know what i need for sugar to carb a 750 ml champangne bottle in terms of teaspoons (or fractions thereof) of priming sugar?

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

Redhook ESB clone

Old 03-17-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
nallanrex
Recipes 

I use 1 tsp per 355 ml or 3/4 of a tsp for beer. So...2 tsp or 1 1/2 tsp.

Ive also done 1/2 a tsp per 355(1tsp per 750ml) but the lighter beers need more carbonation. Might be ok with a mead though.

-Nick

Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #16
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallanrex View Post
I use 1 tsp per 355 ml or 3/4 of a tsp for beer. So...2 tsp or 1 1/2 tsp.

Ive also done 1/2 a tsp per 355(1tsp per 750ml) but the lighter beers need more carbonation. Might be ok with a mead though.

-Nick

I Thank you, sir

Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

update:

after racking I topped up with 1.5 pints of spring water.
the mead cleared to the point of being able to read fine print through it.

so I bottled it on the 26th.

yeild for the one gallon batch:
2 750ml wine bottles bottled still.
2 750ml swing top champange bottles primed for carbonation.
2 350 champange splits bottled still.
and 2 four ounce "test" glasses consumed while bottling for quality assurance reasons.

It's really good!! a few more months of age should really bring it out into it's own. I've gone and created a recipie I will definitely reccomend to anyone looking for an easy, basic fruit mead. and I managed to do it first time out for a mead it's off dry - a beautiful pale straw color (kinda like a Savion blanc) and full of interesting flavors - the kumquat flavor is very subtle, as I put them in primary - I wouldn't want any more kumquat in this, so I'd avoid adding more fruit at racking if you follow in my footsteps.
the ABV is pretty good - caught a bit of a buzz from the 8 ounces I drank while it was bottled. SWMBO says "it should be served lightly chilled" and I agree - IMHO it would make an excellent accompanyment to Thai or Japanese food I think.

I'm definitely thinking of doing a 5 gallon batch of this in the near future...

Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
travestyofnature
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How bout showing off a pic?!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #19
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travestyofnature View Post
How bout showing off a pic?!
maybe after I crack a bottle after a little more age...

In retrospect I should have taken a pic of one of the full test glasses.

I want to let it sleep for a while before I open one of the 750s
maybe next month I'll do one of the splits.

Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like you have a winner here, I think I need to check out some of the farmers markets if I ever get some free time. Glad it came out well, may I just recommend using some smaller bottles with meads. I do almost half of the batch with standard 12oz bottles, and a few large wine bottles. One 12oz is pretty strong, a whole bottle of a high ABV mead will make for a pretty hard morning by myself.
I also find it easier to "loose" or properly age a six pack of 12oz bottles, my brother seems to track down and distroy the larger bottles after two years or so.

Quick Reply