New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead - JOAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Joe's Ancient Orange Mead - JOAM

We made a 3 gallon batch of this a few weeks ago and got the recipe from moremead.com, but I was surprised that there is little mention of it here and no recipe. So I figured I'd post it for people to look at. We just tripled it.

Quote:
1 gallon batch

* 3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
* 1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
* 1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
* 1 stick of cinnamon
* 1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
* optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
* 1 teaspoon of bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
* Balance water to one gallon
Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen. Put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)( the yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.

If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make a different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make a good ancient mead.

Enjoy, Joe

Rainyn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
ATD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I foget where I found this recipe, but I have 2 gallons that are already gone, and I started 3 more last night. My first was with the recipe as is. The second was with blueberries. They both came out great but I really liked the blueberry, so I started up another blueberry and I am experimenting with cherrys and strawberries. I will post later how they turn out but thats a few months off. After a day the cherry looks like it's going to be very pretty when it gets done. I am a little dissapointed that the strawberry started out with a little bit of pinkish but has gone back to being a golden brown already. The blueberry is taking on it's nice purlpleish tint. I just hope its as good as last time.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually that recipe is posted here, complete with exactly the same misspellings. I am on my third gallon as well.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
ShadowWulf
Recipes 

So....

Just bread yeast? Like that fleishmans bread yeast at the supermarket? Thats all?

What kind of flavor does a bread yeast impart rather than say a beer or champaign yeast? Only reason im asking is i actually have several packs of both beer + red star yeast laying around and i could use them if it improves the recipe any. If not, then ill stick with the bread yeast!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
ATD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a jar of fleishmans bread yeast I bought at wal-mart. Don't use the bread machine kind, just the regular bread yeast. I found the optional spices tend to add a little too much spice to the orange. I didn't add them to the others. I got some very good compliments when I was letting people sample my first two I made using this recipe.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf
So....Just bread yeast?
Well, here is a thread currently on page one in this section, note the thread title "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42807
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

one question... it only has to ferment for 2 months?? i was told mead can take years....or is that for a different type of mead.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow, bumping 2 old threads with the same question?

Anyhow - you can make quick mead. It's just a matter of if you are able getting the best possible mead. AFAIK, JOAM ends quite sweet which really covers all the flaws and defects of a quick process and have heard that from most JOAM lovers that it tends to get better over time.

Can you do it and drink it in 2 months? Maybe. Doubt it's the best mead you'll ever drink, but it might be possible.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-pa-de-dc-winter-brew-day-195534/

Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
one question... it only has to ferment for 2 months?? i was told mead can take years....or is that for a different type of mead.
It's pretty raw when it's young. At about 6 mo it gets drinkable. I broke open a 18 month old bottle with a friend last night. It was smooth and delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
I am on my third gallon as well.
I'm close to 30 gallons. Made good Xmas gifts last year. I have about 8 bottles of the 18 mo old batch left. I have 10 gallons at 9 mo old. I'm getting ready to make more so it has time to age.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
natureboy68
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i made a 1 gallon batch of JAOM back in april, and i forgot all about it! DOH! its been sitting on the bread yeast for 6 months, is it going to taste like a**? should i just go ahead and bottle it?

Last edited by natureboy68; 09-29-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply