Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
flowerysong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner
Sorry to cut in, but I've got a quick question for you meaders. I just bought my first bottle of mead to taste and see if I'd be interested in brewing. Is it served chilled? I picked up Chaucer's- it's all my store had- and am looking forward to it.
Since this isn't related to the topic of the thread, it would have been better to start a new one.

For a discussion of this question, see http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35099

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 AM   #12
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you can, get Redstone Meadery meads or Rabbits Foot meadery shipped to you, they are more like the homebrew meads that good meadmakers make. Less like the commercial meads like chaucers and bunratty, which can sometimes be overly sweet or simply white wine fortified with honey. If you can though, get two of each, drink one, and cellar the other. They age well and are suited to keeping for several years, and like our mead will get better over time.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Steiner
Recipes 

Thanks for the forward. Just had my first mead. It was a Chaucer. I know mead is fermented honey, but wow, it really tastes likes straight honey. Kinda interesting drink. If I were to brew some, I think I'd want it flavored or something but I can't find a commercial melomel. I haven't tried it heated and mulled yet. Chaucer came with spices, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Personally I like mine chilled, or if its a melomel, chilled and carbed. Redstones Blackberry Nectar is a good example. Not to sweet, lower alcohol, and epervecent like champagne.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 12-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
archmaker
Recipes 

Two questions.

I forgot to put the Clove in the mead last night (Tried to do the reciepe from memory) can I put it in today? (24 hours after starting)

Does blood hurt the mead, dang near chopped the end of my thumb off slicing the orange.

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Old 12-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
Steiner
Recipes 

Mmm...bloodmead. Natural coloring. Yikes, careful with the thumb there. I'd guess the mead should be ok, but there's no telling. I'd just be careful with mentioning that if sharing though.

I found the Chaucers to be really sweet like you mentioned MLynch. It also recommended drinking soon after purchase (and not age) in order to get the freshest flavor from the honey. I'm going to dry a small 2 gal batch soon. Now, I've just got to find a recipe and this Joe's Ancient Orange Mead sounds rather popular.

I know it may be hard to describe, but I wasn't that excited with the Chaucers. Is this sweeter, dryer, honey-er, overwhelmingly orange, etc? Any general feedback would be appreciated. I'm looking for a tasty first batch with a quick turnaround time- minimal aging needed. I'd like to taste rather quickly to get an idea what I'd like, so a smaller ABV would probably be best. How does this Orange Mead fall into play here?

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #17
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by archmaker
Two questions.

I forgot to put the Clove in the mead last night (Tried to do the reciepe from memory) can I put it in today? (24 hours after starting)

Does blood hurt the mead, dang near chopped the end of my thumb off slicing the orange.
As long as you don't have any diseases.

But seriously I wouldn't share that with anyone just for safety and health's sake.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
drevilz4l
Recipes 

I have some of this almost done. Do you guys bottle it as is or do you carbonate it?

Up next - Flemish Red Ale
Kegged - Empty :(

Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #19
ATD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

drevilz4l: I bottled as is. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to try to carbonate but I don't know how well it would work as mine was still quite sweet when it finished. Leading me to think that it had overpowered the yeast. If you can force carb it I think it could be quite good fizzy.

My experience with JAOM has been that it finishes quite sweet. What fruit you use will be very much the center of attention, with the spices a nice backup with a nice sweet finish. I added too much of the optional spices to my orange. I made some blueberry without the extra spices and it was wonderful. Had a little less overpowering flavor than the orange. all the flavors mixed quite nicely. I've got another batch of Blueberry going and I'm trying a strawberry version and a cherry version. all I've changed is the fruit. Strawberry foamed alot. I haven't had any trouble with the others doing that.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Nazhuret
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD
drevilz4l:
My experience with JAOM has been that it finishes quite sweet. What fruit you use will be very much the center of attention, with the spices a nice backup with a nice sweet finish. I added too much of the optional spices to my orange. I made some blueberry without the extra spices and it was wonderful. Had a little less overpowering flavor than the orange. all the flavors mixed quite nicely. I've got another batch of Blueberry going and I'm trying a strawberry version and a cherry version. all I've changed is the fruit. Strawberry foamed alot. I haven't had any trouble with the others doing that.

I just came into about 8 pounds of blueberries at work. I would like to try this. How much of the berried did you try? Did you use campden tablets on them?

Quick Reply