Joe's Ancient Orange Mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Ok. I'm ready to make JAOM and I have enough for a two gallon batch. I'm going to split the batch into two, one gallon glass carboys and I'm going to follow the recipe strictly for the one w/ the Fleishman's bread yeast, but I thought about changing the second one to EC-1118 or maybe even D-47. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I just the put airlock on my first gallon of JAOM about ten minutes ago. I may not even let the stuff ferment it smells so good. I got these four other one gallon glass jugs from making Apfelwine sitting around, but they are getting filled up this weekend. Just follow the recipe, it is going to be really good.

I might even drink the first gallon like tommorrow, wow.

I've done JAOM several times...its delicious! I would recommend just doing the recipe as is....if you like a really sweet mead. If you don't then maybe you could try another yeast if you want it to finish dry.

I think its delicious just the way it is and I have 2 gallons of it going right now for the holidays!

Cheers,

So 22 hours into primary ferment I poured a pint out just to sample. Wow!! I'll have to start over with a clean jug here in a few hours I bet.

I did one with ec-1118 and it was too sour to drink.

Follow the directions! if you're drinking it 20 hours into a 2month process, you arent following what joe says.

It will taste so much better after a couple months than after a day. Even mo betta after 6 months in the bottle

Does anyone have an approx. ABV on this? I'm about to try it and I was just wondering.

mine has been in the primary for just under a month, i used a different yeast, still a dry bread yeast its what I could find, and as of last weekend (21 days) i had an ABV of 13.5%

Sorry to cut in, but I've got a quick question for you meaders. I just bought my first bottle of mead to taste and see if I'd be interested in brewing. Is it served chilled? I picked up Chaucer's- it's all my store had- and am looking forward to it.

Steiner said:
Sorry to cut in, but I've got a quick question for you meaders. I just bought my first bottle of mead to taste and see if I'd be interested in brewing. Is it served chilled? I picked up Chaucer's- it's all my store had- and am looking forward to it.

Chaucers is all I could find too. We liked it until we had the mead that I made!:D

Steiner said:

Since this isn't related to the topic of the thread, it would have been better to start a new one.

For a discussion of this question, see http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35099

If you can, get Redstone Meadery meads or Rabbits Foot meadery shipped to you, they are more like the homebrew meads that good meadmakers make. Less like the commercial meads like chaucers and bunratty, which can sometimes be overly sweet or simply white wine fortified with honey. If you can though, get two of each, drink one, and cellar the other. They age well and are suited to keeping for several years, and like our mead will get better over time.

mike

Thanks for the forward. Just had my first mead. It was a Chaucer. I know mead is fermented honey, but wow, it really tastes likes straight honey. Kinda interesting drink. If I were to brew some, I think I'd want it flavored or something but I can't find a commercial melomel. I haven't tried it heated and mulled yet. Chaucer came with spices, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Personally I like mine chilled, or if its a melomel, chilled and carbed. Redstones Blackberry Nectar is a good example. Not to sweet, lower alcohol, and epervecent like champagne.

mike

Two questions.

I forgot to put the Clove in the mead last night (Tried to do the reciepe from memory) can I put it in today? (24 hours after starting)

Does blood hurt the mead, dang near chopped the end of my thumb off slicing the orange. :drunk:

Mmm...bloodmead. Natural coloring. Yikes, careful with the thumb there. I'd guess the mead should be ok, but there's no telling. I'd just be careful with mentioning that if sharing though.

I found the Chaucers to be really sweet like you mentioned MLynch. It also recommended drinking soon after purchase (and not age) in order to get the freshest flavor from the honey. I'm going to dry a small 2 gal batch soon. Now, I've just got to find a recipe and this Joe's Ancient Orange Mead sounds rather popular.

I know it may be hard to describe, but I wasn't that excited with the Chaucers. Is this sweeter, dryer, honey-er, overwhelmingly orange, etc? Any general feedback would be appreciated. I'm looking for a tasty first batch with a quick turnaround time- minimal aging needed. I'd like to taste rather quickly to get an idea what I'd like, so a smaller ABV would probably be best. How does this Orange Mead fall into play here?

archmaker said:
Two questions.

I forgot to put the Clove in the mead last night (Tried to do the reciepe from memory) can I put it in today? (24 hours after starting)

Does blood hurt the mead, dang near chopped the end of my thumb off slicing the orange. :drunk:
As long as you don't have any diseases.

But seriously I wouldn't share that with anyone just for safety and health's sake.

drevilz4l: I bottled as is. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to try to carbonate but I don't know how well it would work as mine was still quite sweet when it finished. Leading me to think that it had overpowered the yeast. If you can force carb it I think it could be quite good fizzy.

My experience with JAOM has been that it finishes quite sweet. What fruit you use will be very much the center of attention, with the spices a nice backup with a nice sweet finish. I added too much of the optional spices to my orange. I made some blueberry without the extra spices and it was wonderful. Had a little less overpowering flavor than the orange. all the flavors mixed quite nicely. I've got another batch of Blueberry going and I'm trying a strawberry version and a cherry version. all I've changed is the fruit. Strawberry foamed alot. I haven't had any trouble with the others doing that.

ATD said:
drevilz4l:
My experience with JAOM has been that it finishes quite sweet. What fruit you use will be very much the center of attention, with the spices a nice backup with a nice sweet finish. I added too much of the optional spices to my orange. I made some blueberry without the extra spices and it was wonderful. Had a little less overpowering flavor than the orange. all the flavors mixed quite nicely. I've got another batch of Blueberry going and I'm trying a strawberry version and a cherry version. all I've changed is the fruit. Strawberry foamed alot. I haven't had any trouble with the others doing that.

I just came into about 8 pounds of blueberries at work. I would like to try this. How much of the berried did you try? Did you use campden tablets on them?

drevilz4l said:
I have some of this almost done. Do you guys bottle it as is or do you carbonate it?

Bump. Mine just cleared and I'm ready to bottle. Carbonate or not? Serving temperature?

Thanks!!

KD

I would probably say to leave it a MINIMUM of two months... Mine set for a year and a half and was apparently phenomenal... It took a B.O.S. just last week... Sadly they were the last two bottles I had left...

Guess what I am making again this weekend?

I am looking to make a 2 gallon batch of JAOM for my wife, but she is not a citrus fan. I was going to put together a DABM (David's Ancient Blackberry Melomel).

The recipe will be pretty much the same as above, but adjusted the following way:

2 packets Fleischman's yeast
40 raisins
1 cinnamon stick
1.5 lb blackberries
7 lb starthistle honey

Is there enough blackberry in this recipe? I want it to come through, but not overpower the starthistle honey which is a fairly delicate honey that goes really well with blackberries (one of my favorite desserts, by the way).

Thanks!

So after 4 months this did not ferment at all. Brix and hydrometer readings are still off the charts. Looks like i’ll be using all of this orange honey water as adjunct sugar for my beers and call the mead experiment a complete fail.

Back