Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > JAOM....yet another thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Fathand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It gets better with age. In fact you'll be amazed at what it becomes. The hotness dies down and sweetness appears. Give it at least 6 months. More if you can stand it. The longer you wait the better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
FatsSchindee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneHawk
OK, fruit dropped and I just bottled the stuff. I tasted it and it's horrible! First, it's REALLY strong, which isn't the issue; the issue is a funky, not in a good way, aftertaste. It is also not sweet at all, which it's supposed to be. I still bottled it and I'm gonna see what happens. Someone, please tell me this stuff gets better because what's all the rave about otherwise? I scaled down from the one gallon because i only had 2 pounds 14oz of honey. I used less water to compensate a little bit less yeast.
Mine is the same way - hot and strong, spicy and overpowering - after 2.5 months. I just racked it off the yeast and oranges and into a new gallon jug. Am going tO let it bulk age for a few more months in there (I topped up with water to reduce headspace, about a pint) before bottling. I'm gonna forget about it for awhile, and then keep my fingers crossed it'll taste much better when I bottle it...

And to answer your original question, mine measured 1.034 last night. Which, with an SG of 1.31 (75% attenuation), gives it an ABV of 12.7%... Or right about what everyone else is saying (12%) the bread yeast will give you.

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply