JAOM Variation - w/Blueberry Blossom Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
So, my first JAOM turned out soo well, my wifey decided to give me crap for ONLY making a 1G batch!!!...who woulda thunked it eh?...so, I got 3#s of a blueberry Blossom honey now, and I was going to make another JAOM when I thought, the orange, and cinnamon stick and cloves might go so nicely with this type of honey, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has made a similar JAOM with this type of honey instead...I'm also going to make another regular, following the recipe to a T again...it turned out sooo well...I can't wait...

I also started a quick grape mead as well on the week-end :D

TIA.

Don't squander the blueberry honey on JOAM! I'd make a show-mead or something close to just honey, water, yeast to get more of the flavor of the blueberry honey. Personally, I'd only use clover or wildflower for JOAM.

ok, that's good to know...thanks overpunch...would you happen to have a good, simple :))) recipe for a show-mead?

thanks,
A50SNAKE

A show mead is just water, yeast, and honey. The type of yeast, and the amount of honey per gallon will affect how sweet it is.
I've never made a sweet mead, but from what I've heard 3lb/gallons will make a sweet mead if you use the appropriate yeast. Try to keep the fermentation below 70F if you can. I've been fermenting my meads at around 68F.

This link has a few recipes:
http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm

"Dry Mead
12 lbs. of Honey
4 gallons of spring water
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
5 teaspoons of yeast energizer
2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or a suitable replacement)

Medium Mead
15 lbs of Honey
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
5 teaspoons of yeast energizer
2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or suitable replacement)

Sweet Mead
18 lbs of Honey
2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
2 teaspoons of yeast energizer
2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or suitable replacement)"
Again, the sweetness will depend on the amount of honey and type of yeast.

Back