Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > JAOM Syrupy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
xilosen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default JAOM Syrupy

I'm a mead noob. I've had some local that tasted great so thought I'd start with a batch of JAOM.

I took a sample of 3 month old JAOM from the carboy and I can honestly say it tastes disgusting. I like sweeter drinks, but this stuff is like syrup. I'm pretty disappointed as I've read tons of people say JAOM was great.

Will this get any better? I made 9 gallons of it (original and some recommended variants). I would hate to have to dump it all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What's the SG? Sounds to me like it hasn't finished fermenting.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilosen View Post
I'm a mead noob. I've had some local that tasted great so thought I'd start with a batch of JAOM.

I took a sample of 3 month old JAOM from the carboy and I can honestly say it tastes disgusting. I like sweeter drinks, but this stuff is like syrup. I'm pretty disappointed as I've read tons of people say JAOM was great.

Will this get any better? I made 9 gallons of it (original and some recommended variants). I would hate to have to dump it all.
Did it finish fermenting ? Had the fruit dropped ?

I know that Joes instructions say it's ready for drinking once the fruit has dropped and it's gone clear, but I've never found it like that. I always age it for at least 6 months.

To start with, the yeast is a US brand, we can't get it here, so I just use a local equivalent.

I also, by accident on my first batch, I just made it up to "a gallon"..... being in the UK, that'd be an imperial gallon or 4.55 litres, not the US gallon or 3.78 litres. So mine don't tend to be quite as sweet, still sweet though.

What I'd suggest, is that you leave it all, until it's definitely finished fermenting etc, then "water it down", but with vodka, or if you can get it, everclear.

Yes, it will make it much stronger, but it will make it taste dryer, it will remove a lot of the "syrupy" texture, etc.

The downside is that it will give it a slightly harsh "alcohol hot" flavour. So you just age it, to allow that to mellow into the flavours.

Remember, that all you need to do, is to add enough to remove the syrupy consistency a bit. Don't keep chucking spirit in it until it's a similar consistency as, say, wine, just dilute it to cut the syrupy apperance by between 1/3 and 1/2.

The end result should be like a "sack" mead, but with some fruit and spice hints to it.

I've done that before and it's worked fine.

Of course, there's other ways. Like blending the whole lot, then making a starter with a robust wine yeast, something like K1V-1116, then following the instructions for restarting a stuck ferment and adding some of the brew to the starter, a bit at a time, doubling the volume each time, until you've got say, 2 or 3 gallons that seem to be fermenting, then adding it to the main batch, as the yeast will have acclimatised to the presence of already existing alcohol (have a search for "proper" instruction how it's done - I've just explained it in a basic way, from memory - but it's another method of sorting this out).

The problem with JAO, especially if made using US measurements is that it can end up quite syrupy, like a "dessert" mead (for drinking after a meal, like a port). There's a number of commercial ones like that available here, and when I've tried them, I've also measured the gravity, and they tend to be about 1.040 - which is way to sweet for my taste. Yes, the actual flavour is fine, but the cloyingly sweet, syrup texture, is something I don't enjoy.

I like my meads as "medium" about 1.010 to 1.015

Dunno if that lot is of any help or use !

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
xilosen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's 3 months old and sat in 77F environment. Fruit has dropped. It's finished fermenting. Not sure what the SG is atm as I don't have a thief and tube.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What exactly makes the fruit drops anyway? Is it like gas inside that gets released?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

DISCLAIMER: I am far from an expert. This is the first mead I've made.

I just bottled my JOAM after 2 months in primary at around the same temp as yours. I was planning to age it for 6 months before trying any, but curiosity got the better of me, and I split a bottle with a friend this weekend. I would not have described it as syrupy at all. I used Montrachet instead of bread yeast, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

What were the variants you made? Any with different yeast? Have you tried others, to see if they are also too sweet?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
xilosen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverTime View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am far from an expert. This is the first mead I've made.

I just bottled my JOAM after 2 months in primary at around the same temp as yours. I was planning to age it for 6 months before trying any, but curiosity got the better of me, and I split a bottle with a friend this weekend. I would not have described it as syrupy at all. I used Montrachet instead of bread yeast, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

What were the variants you made? Any with different yeast? Have you tried others, to see if they are also too sweet?
I made a blackberry and something else forgot off hand. Blackberry is somewhat less syrupy tasting than the original but they are all still syrupy. I used the same bread yeast in all.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilosen View Post
I made a blackberry and something else forgot off hand. Blackberry is somewhat less syrupy tasting than the original but they are all still syrupy. I used the same bread yeast in all.
If you try this again, take a look at Malkore's version. I used almost this recipe. The only differences were that I put the sectioned oranges (not just the juice) in with the zest, and I used Montrachet yeast. The yeast Malkore recommends is probably a better choice, but I wanted to use up some yeast I had.

Mine was drinkable and not at all syrupy after 2 months.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
xilosen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Kinda put off by making mead given how this was supposed to be great and turned out crap. Don't want to waste more money and time for the chance of it turning out crap. Mead isn't cheap to make.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Vespa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have made this mead 3 times so far, so I am no expert, but my current batch tastes amazing after only 2.5 months. I would be interested in hearing your process. After 6 weeks mine cleared and 85% or so of the fruit had dropped. I siphoned into another gallon jug and topped it off with water as the lees and fruit took up space. It tastes syrupy before the top off, but perfect afterwards.

Bottled: Belgian Special Dubbel
Aging:Blueberry Strawberry Melomel, Blood Orange and Cranberry Melomel

Quick Reply