Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > JAOM - 3 gals too much for a first timer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default JAOM - 3 gals too much for a first timer?

I just finished bottling my first batch of HB, and now Im itching to start playing around with other things as well. I have another batch of Carmel Cream Ale in the primary, and 5 gals of Apfelwein. I also have a 5 gal carboy which I will use to 2ndary my CCA, and I just picked up a 3gal carboy to try something new.

I was thinking that JAOM would be simple to make and can be done in a 3 gallon batch. Never having tasted mead in my life - is 3 gallons too much to start? Or would I be better using that carboy for something else?
Thanks
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
pulpfiction32
Recipes 

I have never tried JAOM , But everyone seems to like it , Maybe you

should try a Cyser first "Honey and Juice" Check out Tusch's recipe for

bluberry cider and maybe replace the sugar for honey. I have 2 meads going

right now one is a pyment and one is a banana mead ohhh and i have the

famous leap year mead going but im trying to forget about it because of the

time until i will drink it Check out the sticky at the top of the mead catagory

Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
thomasaaron
Recipes 

JOAM is very easy to make. I've only made a 1-gallon batch so far, but 3 gallons should be no harder. Heck, it pretty much makes itself.

To register an opinion is human. To ask a question is divine.

Visit my blog to discuss Mead and Things.

Or have a look at my personal Mead Log.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You might want to check out Malkore's version. There was a couple of things that bothered me in Joe's recipe that Malkore (IMHO) improved in his recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/malk...ge-mead-50201/

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Hefeweizengeliebter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just made my first batch of mead today.... I used 2 one gallon carboys

Now Brewing: English Chocolate Nut Brown
Next up: ????
Bottled: Jalapeño Pilsner, Ginger Pilsner

Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

+1 on Malkore's version.
If you use whole fruit, really bomb it with camden tables etc for 24 hours, or add it after 3 to 4 days of strong fermentation. I'm not paranoid, but reality has shown me not to take chances. Usually everything is great until it really hits you in the gonads.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, the experiment is well under way and thus far it has been a royal pain in the arse. I have failed to follow any sort of detailed instructions whatsoever.

Here is what has happened thus far - 9 lbs of honey softened up with some warm water. Thrown on top of 2 lbs of pineapple chunks. I then found that I didnt have the cinnamon or cloves, so my dumb ass dumped some powered stuff into the carboy.

The airlock filled. (I removed it to place the BoT and I got the 2 foot must geyser)
Replaced it with a blowoff tube until it died down then the airlock is back on. Funny thing is the airlock isnt 'bubbling' like my other brews. You just see the water rise a little, then subside. I thought that I may have had a leak so I removed the carbung and cleaned it off as well as the neck of the bottle.(Could very well be the temp too. My house is in the 60s right now) I still see the floating pineapples bubbling a little bit but other than that it just seems that the 'haze cloud' is making its way to the bottom where all of the honey is hanging out. I hope this mead at least comes out alive - Ive really slacked on this one, and just slapped something together with out the methodical planning that I have used for my couple of past brews.

Ill let it sit for a month or 2 to see if it changes at all, in which time I will take a sample to see if it tastes like goat ass or not.
Hey, at least my beer(s) seem to be doing all right!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
Well, the experiment is well under way and thus far it has been a royal pain in the arse. I have failed to follow any sort of detailed instructions whatsoever.

Here is what has happened thus far - 9 lbs of honey softened up with some warm water. Thrown on top of 2 lbs of pineapple chunks. I then found that I didnt have the cinnamon or cloves, so my dumb ass dumped some powered stuff into the carboy.

The airlock filled. (I removed it to place the BoT and I got the 2 foot must geyser)
Replaced it with a blowoff tube until it died down then the airlock is back on. Funny thing is the airlock isnt 'bubbling' like my other brews. You just see the water rise a little, then subside. I thought that I may have had a leak so I removed the carbung and cleaned it off as well as the neck of the bottle.(Could very well be the temp too. My house is in the 60s right now) I still see the floating pineapples bubbling a little bit but other than that it just seems that the 'haze cloud' is making its way to the bottom where all of the honey is hanging out. I hope this mead at least comes out alive - Ive really slacked on this one, and just slapped something together with out the methodical planning that I have used for my couple of past brews.

Ill let it sit for a month or 2 to see if it changes at all, in which time I will take a sample to see if it tastes like goat ass or not.
Hey, at least my beer(s) seem to be doing all right!
GOOD GOD MAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!...thats about all I can say..well that and maybe try to mix the honey better next time...it sounds stratified...

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 12-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Mixing the honey is beneficial, but if the yeast are alive and well they will find the honey, don't worry about it. And I thought you were going to make JAOM?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Mixing the honey is beneficial, but if the yeast are alive and well they will find the honey, don't worry about it. And I thought you were going to make JAOM?
LOL Yes I was, but while at the wallyworld I was making my way towards the produce section and got a wild hair up my ass. All of a sudden, oranges became pineapples. Sliced ones.... Prepackaged sliced ones...

I hate being ADHD sometimes...
But I hate the meds they had me on even more. (So I stopped taking them)

This will be an interesting brew! I reallllllllly hope it comes out well, cause it smelled wonderful! I was less bothered by the geyser in my closet because it made it smell so nice! Now to do something about those stains... Hmmmmm...
-Me

Quick Reply