Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Ive Not 'Staggered' Nutrients, Is it Too Late?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
jguy898
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ive Not 'Staggered' Nutrients, Is it Too Late?

My traditional Mead is coming along nicely, and is currently in Secondary. It is about three weeks old, and I racked it to secondary because the airlock has slowed down considerably. (once every minute or so) I have it sitting on my kitchen counter, wrapped in a blanket, so that I may watch the progress. It has dropped almost as much yeast as primary fermentation did and it's only been in secondary for about 5-6 days. The yeasts stated alcohol tolerance is 14% but it has reached 15%, though it is still fermenting slightly. I'm going to be adding some additional honey to sweeten in the next few days. (2.5 - 3 lbs.) Would it be a good idea to add a tiny bit of nutrient to "help out" the suspended yeast, or at this point would the yeast not have enough time to consume the nutrient, due to high abv content, and leave an off flavor?

Also, I'm going to mix in a little sulfite to keep the mead from grabbing too much air during the mixing processes and oxidize. Would that shock, or possibly kill, the yeast?

Thanks for any help,
Jonas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6327 Times on 5483 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Since you are already at 15%, no need to nutrient....

Before you back sweeten, you should really wait until fermentation is completely done (and the mead has cleared); then rack onto some campen and potassium sorbate. Wait ~24 hrs, then add your honey.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Since you are already at 15%, no need to nutrient....

Before you back sweeten, you should really wait until fermentation is completely done (and the mead has cleared); then rack onto some campen and potassium sorbate. Wait ~24 hrs, then add your honey.
What does the Campden do? What about Sulfite? I hear sulfite isn't exactly 'necessary', but highly advisable for retaining some of most volatile (fragile) aromas and flavors.

Jonas

Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6327 Times on 5483 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Campen tablets (the sulfites) and potassium sorbate act in concert to prohibit yeast from consuming any more sugars...

Even though you're near (or above) your yeast ABV% tolerance - if you add more honey, they yeast will just eat it.

You could play the game of continuing to feed honey until you are sure the yeast are completely done; but that may take awhile to dial in (I've never done it)

Quick Reply