Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Its stuck

I have a JAO thats stuck.

I tried to keep it as close to the origanal reciepe as possible. In fact I have made 4 patches similtaniously, but my clover is stuck.

These are the steps that I have taken to unstick it.

first, I tried pitching, (nuked and fried) bread yeast, then adding nutrition, and energizer.

After that did not work I made a starter with K1V adding and increasing must additions at 20 minutes, 1 hour, and then overnight, all to no avial.

Now it has been recomended to use UVAferm and its really hardcore I guess, but I dont know what else to do.

I have also checked the ph. last month (the JAO is about 2 months old) it was a bit high at about 4.4 or 4.6. I have added some calcium carbonate and then it droped to about 3.2. Then having added a splash of lemon juice it brought it up to about 3.6. Last night it was back up to about 4.4. I dont understand why the PH has risen so much when nothing in particular has been done and I am sure that there must be bacteria or bad yeast culture in this batch.

The next step I will take is rack off the lees so as to seperate the must from the lees, repitch with the UVAferm using a starter with goferm, and hope for the best.

Now, I am thinking that the reason its stuck has to do with the one gallon plastic water jug, Maybe its not as sterile as I had thought.

My questions are these. Why would the PH go up? Could I have a poor quality jug that allows bacteria or air to get in? Most importantly is how do I get this patch unstuck??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
TheBrewingMedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

most plastic water jugs are not PET so they are permeable to things passing back and forth through them, seems you have quite a "soup" of nutrients and chemicals and additives going on. did you take a hydrometer reading? is it possible that it was just one of those batches that finished out fast and was ready for the secondary?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
johns
Recipes 

No way it finished early. It started about 1.35 and is now at about 1.080 where it has been sitting for about a month. Just cant figure this one out

Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

maybe the plastic absorbed something causing the pH instability? do you have something to rack into a glass carboy or some glass gallon jugs? Give it a fresh clean environment and pitch a fresh starter into it?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
johns
Recipes 

I have another #2 pet jug. Its a another one gallon water jug that will get used. I have glass carboys but they are the 5 gallon variety and they are all being used at the moment.

This one has really stumped me.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

PH should be at least 7.0 for any mead, or else it will seldom go anywhere. It may be a strange anomoly, that your PH was so low, but it must be fixed. This is the most viable answer at this point...

Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
johns
Recipes 

when using Ken Schaumm's book "The Complete Mead Maker" as a guide, he recommends a PH level of higher then 3.0.

That maybe a bit too low. On another board I have seen 3.2 as the lowest limit as to the amount of acid most wine yeast are able to function at. I believe a higher (7.0 and above) PH would produce a chalk like taste and would not be very pleasant to drink. My other mels usually finish off, in the mid 3s in the PH scale.

I still have no idea what is wrong with this batch. When making a starter the it is clearly separating after several hours. Something is killing the yeast and I am not sure what it could be. 3.6 PH is not low enough to kill the yeast IMHO.

Last edited by johns; 02-16-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Considering a pH of 7 is neutral...

Quick Reply