Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Interesting read on mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Interesting read on mead

Found this Slate article on mead:

http://www.slate.com/id/2184361/?GT1=10935

Kinda interesting, I thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Hehehe he called Papa Charlie, Charles... There's just something HiBrow about that.

He talks about mead not pairing well with food...He evidently has never eaten Ethiopian Food, especially at a higher end Ethiopian Resturant. It's traditional to drink Tej (Honey Wine) with the extreemly spicy and flavorful food.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Moonpile

Recipes 

As a "bearded Dungeons & Dragons player" and mead-brewer, I feel like I should probably take some kind of offense.

Except that to properly christen our first batch (and my first recent batch) of mead we drank from my drinking horn (which holds about 30 fl oz, though we probably only filled it 2/3 of the way). So, yeah, I guess it's pretty spot on.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also read the article this morning. It was interesting to see him note the increased interest in homebrewing in general and its impact on beer, wine, and spirit production in the U.S. But he clearly doesn't like mead, and seemed to take a little too much fun in poking at some of its consumers (D&D players, etc.).

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

mead is what got me started into brewing some 13 years ago! I was only 17, and got involved with the SCA charter that formed back in my hometown.

author is clearly an ass hat. the only comment I get when virgin lips first taste my mead is, "wow!" Pure delight.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The author is not a mead fan and finds SCA to be weird. I would say he was told to write a balanced article about mead but his opinions came through much too strong.

To me mead has nothing to do with SCA and while I don't have anything to do with SCA I don't see why the author would look down on them. I started experimenting with mead as an off shoot of my brewing. I have also experimented with several wines. Mead is easy to make and lends itself to experimentation. However the latency between making the must and tasting the properly aged results is difficult.

Craig

Quick Reply